quality issuse from viewer to canvas with graphics

Posted by Tom Stephens 
quality issuse from viewer to canvas with graphics
June 06, 2006 11:49AM
I'm having a problem with graphics that come into the project larger than 720x480. They look fine in the viewer but when I put them into the timeline they lose sharpness and detail in the canvas. I have reloaded QT and reloaded FCP5 but the problem continues. I have trashed my preferences, rebuilt permissions. It looks like a codec problem but I don't know how to check. I can bring these graphics into motion or AE and they are fine. The system use to handle this fine I'm not sure what has happened. Help please.
Re: quality issuse from viewer to canvas with graphics
June 06, 2006 12:08PM
Tom, we cover this issue twice a day. You cannot judge effects in the Canvas -- titles, filters, motion etc. will all look like crap. You must use an external broadcast monitor or at least a TV set. Or export a QuickTime movie, enable High Quality playback in QuicKTime Player and see it there.
June 06, 2006 12:53PM
The broadcast monitor looks the same as the canvas. Sorry I did not mention that. I have been editing on FCP for 3 1/2 years in a commercial house and this is a new problem I have never seen. We have 3 other systems loaded the same way and they are not having this problem. Sorry for the confusion. I have put this out to tape and looked at it on other monitors and it still looks bad. When I put the video into the timeline it changes the size and detail on the graphics that are not 720x480, the graphics that are 720x480 look fine.
This is a new problem. Any ideas??
June 06, 2006 01:11PM
Checked your render and playback settings yet? Field dominance? Frame rates? What settings and specs are the problem graphics at? What is your Sequence set to, for that matter?

Though the general perception is "bigger is better", graphics that are too big can look just as bad when scaled down as graphics that are too small and have to be blown up.
June 06, 2006 04:52PM
These are the settings:
Render playback- filters frame blending motion blur all checked......Render - frame rate 100 resolution 100....
sequence
720x480 NTSC DV NTSC-CCIR/DV Lower 29.97
QT
DVDVCPRO NTSC 100%
Audio
48 16 default
Playback
RT-Safe VQ- Dynamic FR-Full 2:3:2:3 accurate
Record
Full Quality

One of the graphics I'm having trouble with:
720x540
RGB Color 8-bit pixel aspect ratio-square built in photoshop
June 07, 2006 02:33PM
Is the graphic settled on (0,0) in the timeline?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics