One tiny piece of audio that I can't figure out.

Posted by Jeff 
One tiny piece of audio that I can't figure out.
June 15, 2006 02:10PM
We have a short clip of audio in our sequence that will play when unrendered yet when rendered the volume drops dramatically. So much that we cannot hear it.
We've tried filters, exporting the clip as a new final cut pro movie file and reconnecting it that way...we've tried exporting it as an aif file and replacing the audio with that. The same thing.
One thing that did happen was when one producer listened to the movie on surround sound he heard it in back of him.
Anyone know how to correct this, or have had a similar problem? I'm at a loss.
Thanks
Re: One tiny piece of audio that I can't figure out.
June 15, 2006 02:22PM

When you have it on a timeline by itself, export **just left** and not both channels. It's almost certain you have a stereo track with phasing damage.

Koz
June 15, 2006 04:22PM
OK, now I have a second to talk about this.

Odd problems like under certain circumstances the whole show vanishes or goes way low and wearing headphones with the show coming from behind you mean the two stereo tracks, left and right are out of phase.

Do this. Put your show on a timeline at a point where there is normal show sound. Double click on the audio tracks so they appear in the Viewer. Using the magnifier tool (lower right), keep clicking on the viewer until one frame of show covers about an inch or so of the screen. Usually clicking until you can't click any more will do this.

*Most* of the wiggles in the two sound waveforms should be going the same direction between the top and bottom wave. If *most* of the wiggles are mirror images of each other, that's the problem.

I don't know how to fix that yet, but it involves delinking the left and right tracks and inverting one of them. A handy get-out-of-jail process is just export Left and use that (split back out to stereo) as the show.

This is easy to do in a sound program, but I have no idea how to do it in FCP.

Koz

June 15, 2006 06:22PM
sure you do smiling smiley

just cut the WHOLE track into a timeline,
un-stereo link it (option L)
or just un-link it if it;s not stereo (apple L)
click on one side to open in the viewer,
(make sure you've only got the one side in there)
export from the viewer.

(export from viewer will be determined by in/outs, that's why i said cut the whole clip into the timeline)

export as QuickTime movie.
this will maintain TC & Reel#

nick

June 15, 2006 08:05PM

<<<export as QuickTime movie.>>>

Oh, I can do that. I thought you were going to tell me how to invert the phase of one track. That's the magic.

Koz
June 16, 2006 12:25PM
I havent been able to get onto the system to test out your solutions, but they sound good. I appreciate the help, and I'll post my findings-
Thanks
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics