Easy Audio Transitions?

Posted by shelleyrae 
Easy Audio Transitions?
March 14, 2006 11:53AM
Is there an easy way to add fade ups and downs within the FCP sequence without having to go to Soundtrack Pro? I've been adding keyframes on the overlays and manually dipping up and down but this is cumbersome. In Avid you can add a video dissolve to quickly fade up or down. Is there an easier way in FCP?
Re: Easy Audio Transitions?
March 14, 2006 12:26PM
There are audio dissolves in the Audio Transitions section of the EFFECTS tab or menu.
March 14, 2006 04:39PM
blade the audio, or select and control v to add an edit.

control click on the edit, "apply transition"

or select the edit, and Option Apple T.

when you come to doing the music, you may want to open up the mix tool.
that's top of the list under the "tools" menu, or Option 6.

turn on automation by clicking on the speaker icon top right (that;s the "Record Audio Keyframes" button), and mix away.

(TIP: if you;re the type to add EQ or reverb and tweak while listening,
you'll find that all those parameters are automatable, too,
and WILL be automated after you've activated the mix tool.
so add the "Record Audio Keyframes" button to your viewer window from the button list)

nick

March 14, 2006 09:51PM
You could also look at copying one clip set for Audio keyframes to another via Paste Attributes to all selected, couldn't you?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
March 14, 2006 10:54PM
Remember, if you use Past Attributes to turn OFF keyframe scaling at the top of the dialog, otherwise, all your fade in/out lengths change depending upon the length of the clip you are pasting into.

Larry
Your friendly, Apple-Certifed FCP trainer
March 14, 2006 11:05PM
i think the ducking would be too case-specific to copy/paste attributes.

if you've got a dip at head AND tail, then scaling could help,
even tho it would change the fade duration.

the dissolve trick might seem clunky, but if you;re moving the "Master" clip that dictates the dip on the "Secondary" clip, then rolling dissolves is half the finger work of moving sets of keyframes.

and how come you can slide opacity in the "Clip Keyframes" mode, but not audio??

nick

March 14, 2006 11:23PM
Shane, Nick and Loren, (and Mike Horton)

Thank you for your quick responses. These are all very helpful suggestions that have already made my editing life easier. I have all the manuals and tutorials that came with FCSP and first try to find my answers in the the provided materials...But some very specific questions are not easily found.

What a blessing to be able to talk to seasoned FCP editors and get quick answers and cool tips from a pool of people with common interest. I'm very grateful for the prompt help and valuable information "you people" in this User Group provide.

Special thanks to Michael Horton for an awesome job managing this site and producing such a useful and informative newsletter. I love the "TIP OF THE WEEK" this month that suggests downloading the "101 Pro Apps Tips" (www.proappstips.com)

I scanned the table of contents and knew this is a "must have" for new users like me. It's so beautifully organized with tons of invaluable info that a novice won't quickly find in any of the manuals or tutorials. MUCHO KUDOS to the person(s) who produced that masterpiece! Definitely worth paying the nine bucks or so.

Thanks again, Shane, Nick, Loren and Mike H.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
March 15, 2006 12:12AM
[and how come you can slide opacity in the "Clip Keyframes" mode, but not audio??]

Becausae audio doesn't have an alpha channel?

Hee hee.

It's a good point, Nick. Scaling activated does the trick BUT as you note scales the damned fades on shorter clips. Paste ttributes doesn't work uniformly. The cps need to be roughly the same length for this to work. It's next to useless with Scaling unchecked, and half useful with Scaling checked.

A good feature request--- where's the special Attributes checkbox to paste me fade keyframes only, laddies?! Tis the only way I can think of to broadcast identical transition effects among many clips-- unles you want to grab a trackful of video or audio abutted clips to that Overwrite with Transition Canvas overlay. That's a horrible mouse operation. I live on the keys...

So, while waiting for a better solution, as a consolation prize, here's a neat gentle mouse tip: right-click to turn any video clip keyframe into a smooth point with Bezier handles, to ease that fade ramp ever so gently in or out... audio won't offer it, the ramps are already "ease-ized."

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
March 15, 2006 12:15AM
Thanks, Ms. Shelleyrae. Isn't that great, guys? I suggest we not bill her.

Nyukyuyuk

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics