Oddball, Wacky Project Settings

Posted by Kozikowski 
Oddball, Wacky Project Settings
June 19, 2006 11:20AM
We did a training session where the instructor was captured with an NTSC DV Camera waving his arms to illustrate various points, but the pictures were, to abbreviate the process greatly, 1280 x 1024 computer screen captures (Colors Thousands, not Millions) in motion at 12 frames per second. They are delivered to me as either QuickTime or AVI.

Sound is 22.05KHz, 16 bit, mono. It's top quality. I put the lavalier mic on the instructor myself.

We need to cut to the graphic when the instructor is talking about that and back to the instructor when he's waving his arms.

How would you cut that?

Oh, the *show* is intended to go out as an MPEG4 progression of 5-minute chunks at the full screen size.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the edit room.....

Koz

Re: Oddball, Wacky Project Settings
June 19, 2006 01:44PM
Why was it shot that way? Forgive me for asking, but wouldn't it have been better to just shoot it as 720 x 480 ? Wouldn't this normal format fill the screen anyway? This is why I'm asking.
Re: Oddball, Wacky Project Settings
June 19, 2006 03:16PM
<<<Why was it shot that way?>>>

We borrowed a Sony DV Camera from the company and shot the teacher in "nightvision" which made up for the fact that the lights in the theater were low. We were after the arm motion of the teacher and the color of his shirt wasn't important.

Oh, you mean why the oddball frame size and progression rate? The software made that up. This is the standard tool we use for capturing computer screens while a SME (Subject Matter Expert) is teaching a class. You can't do it in a lower resolution. Trust me, we tried.

When you're talking about touching out dust particles or wire rig removal, the teacher's screen has to be really large or you spend *all* your time zooming.

I'm going to try rendering the wacky footage down to DV and directly integrate it with the SME video. Most of the graphic work is grand and not fine detail at all. Do I do that at the final show export, or does it pay to do it ahead and use real DV footage on the timeline?

Alternately, is there a HiDef Project setting I can use for the least damage?

Koz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics