Compressing Video for FTP

Posted by Jay Brown 
Compressing Video for FTP
June 21, 2006 08:28AM
Hey guys,

I produce a TV show and want to upload it to an FTP site for my client. The show runs 22 min. and I need a good app. to compress out of FCP to make a 50 meg or so file. How well does quicktime do for this? I have also used copressot and Cleaner for compression issues, but never a 22 min. segment.

Any suggestions to keep it about 50 meg...or at least a streaming piece?

Thanks-J

Jason M. Brown
Owner/Operator
Jack Pine Productions
Midland, MI
Re: Compressing Video for FTP
June 21, 2006 09:21AM

<<<site for my client.>>>

Digital Video has made it unfortunaely necessary to find out all about your client. Are they on a Mac? A modern one?

Koz
June 21, 2006 09:25AM
PC and Mac both, Quicktime has worked very well in the past for them, just smaller clips though, nothing to this magnitude. What are your thoughts. I have a colegue that uses an app. called show2...ring a bell?

Jason M. Brown
Owner/Operator
Jack Pine Productions
Midland, MI
June 21, 2006 09:26AM
A thought about this:

I generally work on shorter projects, my recent uploads for ftp

film a 640 x 480 resolution 3 min 21 sec gave a 25 Meg file
film b 320 x 180 resolution 3 min resulted in a 10 Meg file

Both were encoded in the wmv format (using flip for mac) the first at 1200 kbps
the second at 500 kbps

Flip for mac lets you tweak a lot of parameters but the file size you aim for will be very though to achieve.

Can't you chop in up in a few chapters f.e.
June 21, 2006 09:33AM
I could definitely break it up into segments, that will be the easiest actually. Segments usually go from 5-7 minutes.

Jason M. Brown
Owner/Operator
Jack Pine Productions
Midland, MI
June 21, 2006 10:18AM
MPEG 2 - H.264 is the best and smallest file size for video that we have ever experienced. The thing about that codec is that it is really scalable! We have done several tests of different material from DV to SD to HDV and H.264 can consistently give us a 1 minute clip with a file size of 1 MB or less while still being viewable. Nothing like full screen mind you. but a clip that can be emailed.
June 21, 2006 10:22AM
why don't you use pando.com ?

You can send files of any size.
June 21, 2006 11:34AM
i think we have a confusion of terms. FTP is just a way of transferring files.

are we talking about simply making files smaller for easy transport or are we talking about efficient and good looking files for web playback?
June 21, 2006 01:00PM
i know we are talking here about compressing for ftp, but i figure maybe someone can help me also.

trying to compress 4 minutes of hdv for internet playback, i try H.264 but the file came out huge ( maybe i did something wrong with the settings) and apart from that it got a bunch of lines (like fields) it look really bad.

did a straight up quicktime movie ( self contained ) and then exported to imovie for a dvd and again look very ugly lots of line...

anybody can help on this..

using g5 dual 2.6 fcp 5.1

i am trying to make them look close to apple trailers...

thanks and sorry for going off the subject kind off.

Thanks
J. García
[casualthinking.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics