real time fcp3

Posted by joon1 
real time fcp3
June 22, 2006 10:15AM
does anyone know if there is a way I can get away without rendering things out in fcp3 (fcp3 is all I can afford and that will run on my Ibook) Imovie doesn't playback well on my book no matter how much memory is free and just want to be able to enjoy editing and watching my pieces before the final output without having to go to friends houses and use their dual processor computers or have constant render time just to look at a clip, that is the one cool thing about Imovie, not asking much, max fifteen minute pieces, and no I can't afford a new computer right now. My ram is maxed out for this g3 ibook and I am sure there has to be a way to import/edit and export my short films with this computer. I also don't have interest in running os 9 and x, i am on panther 10.3.9 and it serves me well in everything else. I am open to other programs too if there are any good suggestions that meet the requirements and can be had cheap or free.
Anonymous User
Re: real time fcp3
June 22, 2006 10:39AM
Only time you have to render is if you are throwing efects on your clips or your sequence settings are not matching your capture settings.

You can try Option P to Ram Preview your clip. Park your head just in front of the clip with the effect and FCP will try its best to play it. Quality is not high but it will at least give you a good idea what you got before you render out.

June 22, 2006 10:42AM
if you have to render everything, then there is a problem in your sequence settings not matching your clip settings.

check your sequence settings (Sequence Menu > Settings)
at the bottom of the sequnce settings window is a "Load Preset" button.
and check your A/V settings (Application Menu, i *think* - are you OS9?? Option Apple Q will open it, too) to see if your sequence preset matches you capture settings

however, if your footage and sequence settings DO match and it;s just that you want to not have to render effects, etc,
then i think i still have a copy of Anders Holk's famous "Dane Hack" floating around.
that takes the brakes off the limited RT abilities of FCP3.
i'll send it if i can find it.
cant guarantee your milage on a G3 ibook, though.

cheers,
nick

June 22, 2006 11:36AM
hey guys thanks, I have tried your suggestions, the dane hack works for about three seconds at a time, but the red render line still shows up above the timeline and when i push play it says unrendered in the canvas, seems like my sequence settings are right, so maybe my best option is to find a simple program the book can run, unless you guys have any other suggestions?
Anonymous User
June 22, 2006 11:40AM
You arent telling us much here. I assume this is DV? How many tracks of audio and video and effects you got going here? How long is the sequence? What ARE the settings?

June 22, 2006 11:54AM
the clip is a dv clip i brought in from an imovie file, it is only about one minute long, it is set for dv ntsc 48 khz superwhite, i imported it originally from my canon dv zr20 directly into imovie, the sequence size is set at ntsc dv 3/2
the image doesn't look distorted or antyhing, 2997 editing timebase the compressor is dv/dvcpro- ntsc audio 48.000, quality at 100 percent, , my capture presets are on dv ntsc 48, and my sequence preset is again at dv ntsc 48 superwhite

hopefully that helps, sorry, for the lack of specifics, haven't posted that much
Anonymous User
June 22, 2006 12:17PM
iMovie uses a different codec than FCP. Thats why you are rendering. Either go back and recapture into FCP using your ZR20 or find the source file somewhere on your computer and import that into FCP

June 22, 2006 01:42PM
okay, so I exported a clip from Imovie into a qt file that matches the settings of fcps preset, it comes in fine and there is no red line anymore, the clip which is about a minute will play with good resolution and normal speed in a viewer of its own (when I double click the original in the sequence bin) but then when i push play in the time line canvas, the sound is going fine (there is no longer that beep beep heart monitor blip) but the video is just a pixled kind of static pink screen (which isn't the content of the original)

ideas, thanks again for the patience
Anonymous User
June 22, 2006 02:21PM
Audio is now a problem. Find the source file or recapture. iMovie and FCP don't mix

June 22, 2006 03:59PM
From now on I will import directly into fcp. Hopefully that will reconcile the issue.

thanks Mike

if you get bored, www.jonaley.com
June 22, 2006 04:19PM
Recapture that clip in FCP. It sounds corrupt. It won't take you that long.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics