noticing big trouble after accepting os X upgrade yesterday

Posted by Chris Maher 
noticing big trouble after accepting os X upgrade yesterday
June 29, 2006 04:23PM
lots of fun, get to watch that damnable ball spin just to move a clip, even selecting takes a "beat" before happening. this is hell.

I suppose if I try to reinstall I won't be permitted to install older version.

Why did I accept the latest os X upgrade?
Re: noticing big trouble after accepting os X upgrade yesterday
June 29, 2006 04:38PM
You must have something else going on with your set-up because I am flying around on 10.4.7. / QT 7.1.2. and since you didn't list your config (FAQ, Mike), anything we tell you is guessing at this point. I did the Software Update, too (which nobody likes to do on this forum) and I have never had an issue with it. I have used the Software Update every time since OS X was released and have NEVER had any issues. You just have to NOT CLICK AROUND while the download / install is happening.

You should check to make sure you are all up to date on your software. If selecting takes a "beat", check your RAM too.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 29, 2006 04:48PM
The first thing I noticed after a second reboot (by itself), it that the cooling fans got noticably louder. I did a Combo update to a Quad G5 from 10.4.5 to 10.4.7. Now I am wondering if I need to go back to 10.4.6?
June 29, 2006 05:01PM
don't think I clicked around during upgrade - not my style!

the computer sez I am running 10.4.7 this is a G4 dual processor 500 (x2)

when I check memory I do see that there are 3 cards installed and I remember when I put two in to upgrade thinking mebby I forgot to pull one out, but they are listed as sizes 512 512 and 256 MB with status "OK" does a G4 have "virtual memory"

anyway stickiness is new since the upgrade,

is there some other way I should be "checking the memory" I don't see anything about it in the system pref which I guess includes what used to be the control panels...

if worst comes to worst I can backup and erase HD and start over: will at least take me back to sqaure one with aol abuse damage...
June 29, 2006 05:38PM
Wow...that's an old box. You should really have 2 gigs of RAM to run FC Studio and that old box doesn't hold that much RAM (only 3 slots - up to 1.5 Gigs). I don't know what version of FCP you are running, but the newest OS might be too much for it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 29, 2006 08:29PM
Did you have any externals connected when you did the upgrade? Try disconnecting everything except the mouse and keybaord and force rebooting.
June 29, 2006 11:19PM
Yep, I agree with Jude - NOTHING plugged into the Mac when upgrading the OS. I've upped my Intel Machine, and the airport went wacky! So that's another thing to turn off too now I guess!

Other than that though, FCP is flying. I haven't done the FCP upgrade yet - any reports?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics