Lacie disks and sleep mode part 2

Posted by Travis Sittard 
Lacie disks and sleep mode part 2
July 16, 2006 07:36PM
don't mean to get the old debate going again but...my drives are spinning down and it takes a few moments to see clips spread out over multiple drives.
I'm using a 17" MCP with FCP 5.1. I have 6 Lacie 500GB drives daisy chained together via firewire 800. I'm cutting HD footage captured with the P2 card, which I realize is a lot of heavy lifting. Besides the checkbox in the energy saver pref panel, does anyone have any other info about this issue?
Re: Lacie disks and sleep mode part 2
July 16, 2006 07:41PM
LaCie's are the only drives that come straight from the factory with "Sleep With The Fishes Mode" built right in winking smiley

You don't mean to get it going again...but there it is smiling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 17, 2006 02:23AM
Your FireWire Drive Chain sounds disastrous. I'd invest in a decent SATA Array since you've moved on to HD work.

Joe is correct. When FireWire drives are chained, they often will not obey the Energy Saver System Pref. This is usually because they need the proper firmware to function properly in the chain and not go to sleep. So there's not much you can do other than write to LaCie and ask them for a firmware upgrade.

Again, a better scenario is to avoid FireWire drives for anything but storage. For capture, playback and layback - there's no such thing as overkill for speedy drives that behave as you'd expect.

However, I've never been the biggest supporter of FireWire drives for pro work.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 17, 2006 12:53PM
Hi Travis,

FW HDs can fall asleep if they have been turned on after the Mac has been booted. To avoid FW sleep problems, connect the FW HD and turn it on before starting up your Mac. This should help.

--ken
July 17, 2006 01:17PM
Well, that's the only way I'd fire up drives. Hot patching ain't cool! Hopefully, if he boots this way the drives won't fall asleep. Hope yer right Ken. ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 17, 2006 03:25PM
Ken is right...just EJECT them before powering down or it could cause a hang.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics