HiDef Camera Format Comparisons

Posted by jmlpost 
HiDef Camera Format Comparisons
July 19, 2006 02:29PM
Hello, oh wise and resourceful LAFCUG! I've been trying to put together a comprehensive pro/con list for the various different kinds of HD camera/recording formats for presentation to some producers considering shooting on HD. While I know a good deal about the different possibilities and configurations between different cameras I certainly don't know everything I'd like to and I'm wondering if anyone know of or has heard of any kind of comparison chart or pro/con list for the (now) rather substantial group of digital movie cameras available from HDV to the HVX to the Viper to Varicam to f-900/950 and beyond into Genesis and the upcoming Red Technologies oddity? I'd love to find a list that exhibits each camera's capabilities, recording format, codec options, editing options and what not as a practical guide if it already exists.

Otherwise I'm going to make one. This question is just coming up far too often when producers ask me if they should shoot Varicam or f-900, and what the real difference is between 720p and 1080i - and is there a camera that shoots 1080p? Too many questions and I know the answers are out there.

Looking forward to any suggestions! Thanks!

Re: HiDef Camera Format Comparisons
July 19, 2006 03:24PM
DV magazine has done a couple of in depth tests where the compare the cinealtas, varicams on down to all the HDV trash.

i think web access to their stories is free
July 19, 2006 03:31PM
Go to www.hdforindies.com and look at the FAQ, and also search for the TEXAS SHOOTOUT...where they compared all sorts of HD cameras.
July 21, 2006 05:02AM
The Varicam has a nice Cinematic "look". DP's always comment about the look. One thing the Vaircam does that the Sony does NOT do is variable frame rates, hence the name "Varicam". Odd frame rates are no problem, just use a separate dedicated tape to shoot odd frame rate footage.

If you can afford the Genesis then you need to be shooting on film.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics