Disk mounting issue

Posted by Zaniac Media 
Disk mounting issue
July 21, 2006 11:16AM
I bought an inexpensive Samsung 160GB HD and put it in an inexpensive "ULTRA" encloslure. Formatted it and everything was cool.

Now it doesn't seem to want to mount. It's hit or miss, mostly miss. It shows up in Disc Utility but says it's unmounted.

Are there any tricks to getting this thing to mount relialbly?

Thanks,

Bruce

OSX 10.4.6
Re: Disk mounting issue
July 21, 2006 11:26AM
If you do get it to mount make sure you only use it for your inexpensive media:-)

What sort of drive is it? IDE, ATA, SATA etc.
What sort of enclosure is it? SCSI, USB, FW etc.
What format did you use? MacOS Extended, Journled, etc.
July 21, 2006 11:48AM
Just to rule out the most basic cause...do you have any jacks or cables loose?
July 21, 2006 12:51PM
The drive is PATA. The enclosure is FW. I've got other good drives. This one was just for some backup stuff. Maybe Parallel ATA is the problem? Don't know enough about this stuff.

I originally partioned (single) Mac OS Extended. Worked great for awhile. Now it only mounts when it feels like it. Maybe I'll try another cable for the heck of it.
July 21, 2006 01:11PM
You used the word "inexpensive" twice in the same thread regarding your hard drive...which is not good IMHO. You should read this:

[www.directron.com]

I don't know anyone with a Mac using anything but SATA drives at this point in time.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 21, 2006 02:31PM
Well to be honest I'm not using this for FCP. I use Promax drives for that. I'm using this for my iTunes library because I don't want to clutter up my system drive. I already had the cheap enclosure so I bought a cheap HD for put in it. Maybe I should have just bough another Promax and called it a day! smiling smiley

The reason I posted here is because this is the smartest bunch around and this site has been extremely helpful to me over the past four years.

New cable didn't fix it. Maybe it'll decide to mount again one day?
July 21, 2006 02:50PM
Cheap = death.

Get the smallest G-RAID or even a G-DRIVE and call it a day (my favorite externals - scroll down the webpages for pricing) smiling smiley

[www.g-technology.com]

[www.g-technology.com]

- Joey

July 21, 2006 04:04PM
I've posted this before. May help.

I have a similar drive that does the same thing (mounts when it wants to) and I use it to back-up none-vital stuff. But what works for me (and works everytime for this one drive) I hook it up to my old powerbook pismo G3(greatest powerbook ever made, ever) and restart in OS 9. Drive mounts on my desktop, restart in X, everythings good. This hasn't happened me in over a year though, so I haven't tested it recently. But it worked everytime. Might be worth a shot.

Steven Gladney

Sometimes the obvious is hidden in plain view.
July 21, 2006 04:47PM
...something just occurred to me. If it's showing up in Disk Utility as "Unmounted", have you tried to click "Mount"?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics