elp me!

Posted by Panda 
elp me!
July 22, 2006 03:11PM
ooook, first post. My harddrive space is running low, mainly because of the sheer quantity of raw footage on it, I know i sohuld of seperated the clips at the start but I didn't. I was wondering if there was a simple way to delete all the unused footage, that being all the footage that has not been edited and does not appear on the timeline. Help is greatly appreciated Thanks!
Re: elp me!
July 22, 2006 03:43PM
Look in the Help Files or manual under "Media Manager".

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 22, 2006 05:08PM
Did you capture whole tapes as a single clip, and did you subclip? Both of these can seriously screw with Media Manager and result in your edits being lost if you try to trim your media. Media Manager operations are often irreversible; you may not be able to correct if you encounter human, software or mechanical error. What format are you working on? If possible, I'd leave the original media alone and add more storage space. And next time...for the 1000th time from me and Kevin Monahan...log your takes and build your batch list before capturing!!! Those who scoff at the extra time it takes to do the work properly will be devoured by their own laziness down the road.
July 23, 2006 01:20AM
Why do you say that, derek? I clean up coworker's projects all the time...leaving handles on the timeline clips and deleting the rest. I have no problems at all with Media Manager...works very nicely as a matter of fact. You are sounding a bit crabby these days - wow winking smiley

...and I agree with taking the time to log & capture what you need - not EVERYTHING.

- Joey

July 23, 2006 01:39AM
it worked, thank god for media manager! jooooyyyyy went from about 180 gb, to 30gb lol, yeah next time i think il log all the stuff haha
July 23, 2006 01:51AM
> Why do you say that, derek? I clean up coworker's projects all the
> time...leaving handles on the timeline clips and deleting the rest. I have no
> problems at all with Media Manager...

Because if you don't have storage space, then you're talking about trimming and using Move or Modify Existing...and that's when one touch can be forever. Not everyone has unforeseeable problems with Media Manager, but not everyone gets a smooth ride, either, even if you execute the options perfectly.
July 23, 2006 08:22PM
>>> but not everyone gets a smooth ride, either, even if you execute the options perfectly <<<

You just have to be careful. It's the "super-clickers" that click 1000 miles per hour that click the wrong thing and end up in a world of pain. Don't be so cynical...if you take your time & think things through, 99.99% it's perfectly safe & secure.

Derek, you sound like you were burned by Media manager. It happened to me once on the Avid a few years back...deleted media & all associated files because I got cocky with the clickin'. That only happened to me ONCE - never again.

July 23, 2006 08:36PM
> Don't be so cynical...if you take your time & think things through, 99.99%
> it's perfectly safe & secure.
> Derek, you sound like you were burned by Media manager.

Actually, not really -- I never use the "Use existing" and "Move" options, so even when Media Manager goes crazy, all I end up with is a useless new project file, no permanent damage.

But it's a documented fact that Media Manager doesn't always behave normally. It's not cynicism; it's caution. I'm not one to blame the application or the computer often -- 99 per cent of problems are the results of human error -- but Media Manager does have its flaws. And when we're talking about an offline edit running out of room, my opinion is that adding more storage space is better than messing with the media you already have.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics