editing strategy, long form?&capture now time ?

Posted by el trent 
editing strategy, long form?&capture now time ?
July 27, 2006 05:21PM
Editing strategy for long form & a capture now time question.

Have heard of how an editor is working in FCP in long form, but from an Apple person who didn?t know exactly how.

FCP3, OSX, g4, 2-1.25, 4 hds, I know but still working on same project.

I have heard of a way of working at editing where I have 17 or more sequences that need to be cut and still have try to make a total of 56;40. And make both ends meet the middle.

Is there a way to cut all my sequences independently and distill them ever shorter and still have all the total times and that current cutting reflected in a whole cumulative cut, have heard this is possible but don?t exactly know how to configure do this?

And is ?capture now limited to 30 min?, in capture settings, is this a cumulative time to all captures or separate for each individual capture? Like if I need to capture a lot, does this time have to be set as big as my hard drive, or just enough for each individual source tape length? Think I was having trouble with this length, and having to open more browser tabs in order to capture other tapes.

Thanks much, el
Re: editing strategy, long form?&capture now time ?
July 28, 2006 04:50AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I think that it might be this

Make a compile sequence which is made up of all your smaller sequences. Just drag and drop all the sequences from the browser into the new sequence. For reference, this is known as nesting.

Now when you want to make a change to any sequence, double click it in the compile sequence to open it up, make your changes and then close it. The changes will reflect in the main compile sequence, although sometimes you need to just grab the end of the sequence in the main timeline to remind it that it's not that long anymore. It will snap back to the new end time.

Each individual capture is what is limited by the 'capture now is limited' thing. But you can also just turn it off if you like. Uncheck the box, or change it to a longer duration if you want. But put on your heatproof suit if you're going to say out loud that you want to capture more than 30 minutes at a time (I do it all the time btwsmiling smiley)
July 28, 2006 03:27PM
Is there a way to cut all my sequences independently and distill them ever shorter and still have all the total times and that current cutting reflected in a whole cumulative cut, have heard this is possible but don?t exactly know how to configure do this?

Huh? Can you be a bit more concise in how you explain what you want? A little punctuation, please. ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 28, 2006 05:38PM
I think Jude's already answered the questions, but I believe what he's asking is how to nest multiple sequences into one master assembly sequence, and he wants to edit those individual sequences further so that the nests will lengthen/shorten as he changes their contents.

While this can be done, I don't consider it a very good work method. You will end up with multiple copies of one sequence that are named the same. The only way to make the changes reflect in the nests is to open them from the assembly timeline rather than the Browser (as Jude describes). Which means the nested sequences in the timeline will have the same name but different contents from the ones in the Browser.

What I'd suggest instead is that you keep the individual sequences. When making changes, open them from the Browser. When you need to see the whole show or output to tape/export to movie file, then assemble them into a master sequence. Eliminate the nests once you're done, and only make changes to the sequences in the Browser. This eliminates confusion and the necessity of keeping multiple copies of one section of show.

And I second Jude's warning -- just because you're allowed to capture 60 minutes as one clip doesn't mean you should. I'd cap off clip lengths at 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops. Also, Capture Now is not the best way to capture -- you run the risk of being unable to recapture the clips verbatim if your media becomes corrupt or if you need to do an online, and that in turn can result in editing decisions being lost -- the biggest problem of all in editing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics