having problems with the trim tool

Posted by emilyelaine 
having problems with the trim tool
August 04, 2006 07:35PM
Hi
FCP 5

I'm trying to select the end of a clip the trim 1 or 2 frames it won't select it. I quit out of the program and restarted and it still won't let me select it, it won't highlight. I've trashed the preferences and I'm still having the same problem. It's killing me.

Any solutions.
Re: having problems with the trim tool
August 04, 2006 07:56PM
Still won't do it after a restart and preference dump?

Weird.

Are you sure you have the right tool selected?

I'd delete the clip and cut it in afresh. Sounds like some kind of project/sequence corruption. You might consider copying and pasting everything in your sequence to a new sequence, or even copying and pasting everything in your Browser into a new project file.

Try selecting that last edit using the Edit Select tool (G), then typing in -1 (roll edit back one frame) or -2 (two frames).
August 04, 2006 08:38PM
I copied and pasted it on another sequence and it seems to work okay now. But sometimes it's an on and off problem. It works and then it doesnt.

The tool is the (A) selector. I just highlight the cut and use the arrows to inch it back and forth. I mean I could click and drag it, but it wouldn't let me highlight the cut.
August 05, 2006 01:45PM
It's possible that it's a display problem, not a tool problem. Next time it happens, hit CMD+7 even though it looks as if it's not selected. I seem to remember this happening to me before, but it was just looking like it wasn't selected. It actually was.

Andy
August 05, 2006 01:52PM
I've seen what you're describing, Andy, which is usually fixable by just tapping the Zoom buttons...but if a restart doesn't fix it, I don't think that's what she has.
August 06, 2006 06:31AM
Yep I've had the weird issue with an edit point selections not highlighting at certain zoom settings (even though it really is selected).

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk
NEW! BigTime resizable timecode display for FCP
August 06, 2006 11:04AM
I don't think it has anything to do with a specific zoom setting -- in my case, zooming out and then back in (to the original setting) gets rid of the display glitch. Definitely a bug.
August 06, 2006 12:17PM
I wish mine did! When I zoom back to the original setting, the selection is still not displaying just on that zoom percentage. Definitely weird.

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics