HDV to Quicktime to CD, issues

Posted by mateo1_1 
HDV to Quicktime to CD, issues
August 07, 2006 08:33PM
I have a 30s HDV short that I'm trying to put onto a CD as a Quicktime file to be aired on the local broadcast station. Problem is, when I put the file onto the CD and then try to play it from the disc I get a bunch of starts and stops as if the optical scanner can't keep up with the info or read much of it. Any thoughts? The Quicktime file will be read through a PC, so what I've been doing is exporting the piece as a Quicktime Conversion, then I take that and drop it onto the CD and burn it, but no go. It plays fine back off the harddrive but not the CD. I've checked to make sure my sequence settings and export settings all match. Could it be a problem with the HDV, and should I convert the entire thing to DV? I'm buring to a CD-R. I've tried to DVD-R but no go there too. This is getting expensive with all the coasters piling up! Thanks in advance my brethren. End transmission.
Re: HDV to Quicktime to CD, issues
August 07, 2006 08:45PM
One must learn about data rates before one does something like this. If these are for broadcast they should have given you the specs. I've never met a brodcast station that did give you specs. Did they even tell what form of Quicktime? You do know that a CD probably won't spin as fast as a hard drive do you? Does anyone know of a broadcast station that plays programs or spots off of CDs?

If you post the specs they gave you in theire entirety someone might be able to help you.

Post Edited (08-07-06 18:46)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
August 07, 2006 09:51PM
Copy that. After burning to CD, I copied the content from disc to my harddrive and it plays fine. So, I gotcha', data rate. And forgive me, this is my first broadcast PSA. First broadcast anything. As far as specs go, all they said was Quicktime file. Initially they said betaSP, but then said Quicktime file on a CD would be fine. Can you give me an example of some specs to look out for, i.e. what are some standard ones broadcast stations typically use? I'm working with FCP 5 and I'm trying to hedge my bet by making my content usable with their gear, whatever that may be. I'll investigate further with the station and try to get more specifics. Muchas thanks. Nice website by the way.
August 07, 2006 10:09PM
They vary from station to station, network to network. Some accept DVDs or S-VHS tapes, others only Digibeta or HDCAM. There isn't one set standard.

PBS does, however, offer their "REDBOOK" of broadcast specs online...and they are known for being fairly strict.

[www.pbs.org]
August 07, 2006 10:38PM
Based on what you described I'd consider 8 Bit Uncompressed or maybe DVCPro50. I'm assuming they want Standard Def, not High Def. If downconverting to Standard Def decide whether you want 4:3 or Letterbox. I suspect you'll like Letterbox though. If they want High Def

I'd add a 10 second countdown on the head (10 to 2 beep and two seconds of black). Include a slate with the name of the spot, your contact info. A code number (I use date plus 1 digit to account for possible multiple versions). Something like 080706A. I'd note that it's exactly 30 seconds and the audio (stereo). You might want to add bars (30 seconds) incase they'll dump it to an analog format. Make a note also such as :30 B&T, :10 Slate, :30 Spot.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics