Dip to Color in EDL's

Posted by Jslater 
Dip to Color in EDL's
August 09, 2006 11:59AM
I work in a linear "traditional" On-Line bay. Three of my shows use FCP as their offline NLE. If they apply a Dip To Color Dissolve in their time line, it does not translate in the EDL. Instead of creating two edits, one fading to color, and the second fading up from color, it creates one dummy edit with just a dissolve between the actual footage. Anyone know of a fix for this? The Offline editors are not willing to build the effect differently, they just wanna drop it on the timeline. Ok, thanks.
Re: Dip to Color in EDL's
August 10, 2006 01:37AM
Can you use an XML rather than an EDL?
August 10, 2006 11:56AM
Nope, it has to be an EDL. Our On-Line computers do not read XML.
Anonymous User
August 10, 2006 01:59PM
I used to have a macro pre-programmed in on my GVG editor that would make all the keystrokes needed to set up a white flash...would something like that work?

Then when you get to one of those events in the exported EDL, you just delete it from your EDL, hit your macro, and insert a new event in at the same timecode to replace it.

Dunno which edit system you're using, and whether or not you can program your own macros, but that's the fisrt thing I'd have tried, back in the day.

August 12, 2006 10:35AM
I'm on an axial, which of all the Linear editors I like the best, and you can program a macro, but the timecodes are not usually correct. The A side will have the correct in, but the out will be off, and the B side will be off by the duration of the A side. In a nutshell, it's just basically an eyematch. Thanks though, I do use macros for some of the other quicker fixes that are more consistent.
Anonymous User
August 12, 2006 08:31PM
Well, ratz...

The only thing I can think of is to go back to your offline guys and explain to them again how you are all a team, and they are leaving you a pretty big turd to deal with since the Axial doesn't recognize their transition choices. It's not you, it's not them...it's just the way it is.

"Gee, wouldn't it be nice if we came up with another option that doesn't cause you too much more extra work, and relieved this sort of big problem in the online suite?"

Usually the online is a more expensive room, and it's in the client's best interest for the offline guys to do as much as they can to make sure things go smoothly and quickly in the online.

I don't know what the hierarchy is in your shop, but this might be a good place to have an Exectuive Producer or a Post Supervisor check in. It might take an executive decision to get them to acknowledge that doing it their way isn't in the client's best interest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics