Shifting Pixels in FCP slide Show

Posted by Joey_ 
Shifting Pixels in FCP slide Show
August 18, 2006 05:58AM
Hello all... sorry if this has been addressed here before, but my search came up empty.
My issue is that if I import a photoshop file 300dpi PSD or a high quality JPG, and I create movement (KenBurn effect) I get crazy pixel shift... some are so bad it looks like the picture is under water. This shows up in the final output on my reference monitor, and when I burn the DVD... can someone please help me on this one?
- Thanks in advance
- Joey
Re: Shifting Pixels in FCP slide Show
August 18, 2006 10:16AM
Have you tried using the Reduce Interlace Flicker filter in FCP?
August 18, 2006 11:19AM
qeditor... thanks,
I did try that, but it still @#$%&... I can't figure it out perhaps it's something simple or a setting in the sequence config settings???
The pics are great quality JPGs, more than double the 720x480 size. Could it have to do with the compressor type? currently using DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, or maybe the Pixel Aspect Ratio...
I'm sure this has happened to some of you - Forgive, my expertise on FCP is probably not up to par with most on this board and I hope I'm not asking a stupid question that's been answered on here a million times (my searches came up empty)
August 18, 2006 11:31AM
This happens to high res stills that have fine detail when you apply motion to them. A bit of gaussian blur (.5 or so) will help a lot. I've had good success with the Deflickerator action in Photoshop. It's a free download from many places, Google for it. Apply it to the picture in PS, then import into FCP.

Scott
August 18, 2006 11:48AM
And avoid using JPEGs where possible. Not a great format.
August 18, 2006 12:25PM
High rez JPEGS behave just fine in After Effects (if you have it). It's definitely a FCP thing. Convert to TIFF or TARGA formats for FCP. You also may be trying to animate your still too fast. Slow down the move.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 18, 2006 12:40PM
Thanks all for the input. I'll try them all and get back to you with what worked best...
I'll convert te Jpgs to TIFF (are PSD as good for FCP?) and replace them... Now here ia a newbie question: is there a way to replace all my JPG images in the timeline with the converted TIFF images without loosing the attributes (animation, opacity, filters... ) The reconnect media doesn't seem to work for the "replacement" of time line clip elements.

Cheers! - J

Post Edited (08-18-06 10:42)
August 18, 2006 12:59PM
> is there a way to replace all my JPG images in the timeline with the
> converted TIFF images without loosing the attributes (animation, opacity,
> filters... )

Yes. Select the new TIFF file in the Browser, press APPLE-C to copy. Now select its JPEG counterpart in the timeline and press OPTION-V (Paste Attributes). Choose Content. This will replace the JPEG content with the TIFF but retain all filters, lengths, Motion attributes, transitions, the works, as long as the frame size of your two graphics files are identical.
August 18, 2006 01:43PM
You are, of course, monitoring the video on a video monitor, right?
Are you rendering with the dark green "FULL" bar checked in the Sequence > Render menus? Is the RT Pop Up menu set to Safe RT? High Quality? Full Frame Rate?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 18, 2006 02:38PM
Hi Kevin,
Those were the first things I checked for, a sperficial setting... It's all monitored off a pro video monitor and I've outputed to a DVD to confirm...

Cheers - J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics