FCP not recognizing Firewire (DSR-20)

Posted by Delphinus 
FCP not recognizing Firewire (DSR-20)
August 24, 2006 10:34PM
G4 PowerPC, FCP 4.5HD, 1.3GB RAM, QT 7.1 Pro, OS X 10.3.9

After many months of trouble-free usage, I started having some trouble with kernal crashing, so I backed up my programs, wiped the harddrive clean with Disk Utility, reinstalled OS X and FCP (and upgraded all with Software Upgrade). Now, FCP does not recognize my DSR-20 on firewire. I removed the proper receipts both in FCP and Quicktime but no difference. FCP will not recognize my DSR-20. One thing: When I reinstalled OS X, the second install disk registered an error each time, but it still acted like the install went through. Any ideas on how I can get FCP to recognize my DSR-20?
Re: FCP not recognizing Firewire (DSR-20)
August 24, 2006 10:44PM
What happens if you start the machine on the System CD and then run Disk Utilities, Verify Disk and then Verify Premissions on the System Drive?

It is Extraordinarily Unusual to get kernel failures. Something Really Bad happened. If you didn't find anything Really Bad, then it may still be out there waiting for you.

I mean something Really Bad like the install failing or giving you an error. The installer may have stepped on a portion of bad memory for example, or possibly you have a bunch of FireWire drives connected and one of them isn't feeling well. Did you do the install with all the drives connected?

Koz
August 25, 2006 11:08AM
Yes, the second OS X disk quit half-way through indicating an error, even though I wiped the drive completely clean and ran disk utilities on it. I DID have the firewire drives connected. Maybe that's the issue and I'll try today to load the system with all firewire drives disconnected. Any ideas if the install disk still quits? Do you think that the install disk quitting (even though it still takes me through the registration process as if the install went OK) is the reason that Quicktime and FCP are not recognizing the Sony DSR-20?
August 25, 2006 12:07PM
<<<OS X disk quit half-way through indicating an error,>>>

And, of course, we'd give anything to know what that error was.......

<<< is the reason that Quicktime and FCP are not recognizing the Sony DSR-20?>>>

That's what's so darn much fun about this. You don't kow. Once the Operating System install fails, everything oddball that happens after that could be a result.

Everything in the machine is standing on the OSX kernel. If it's damaged, that's a big problem.

You do own the OSX license, right? Borrow somebody elses and see if that installs. I don't think the licenses are serialized.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics