I need a M-16 for multiclip sequences

Posted by J.Corbett 
I need a M-16 for multiclip sequences
September 05, 2006 05:18PM
i am reading quite alot about this miulti-clip operation for fcp. why they dont just right out tell ya how to get the darn thing to actually delivery a clip to the sequence is beyond me. i may have missed something but i am sick of readimg the same stuff over and over again.

can some one just give me a non-apple walkthru of how to get the clips into the sequence in a way that will allow me to switch from angle to angle while creating a ruff edit.

thing that i have done:

1 all of the clips in my sequence have been synced exported and imported so that the in-point time code matches

2 i have created a multiclip sequence. when i look at the sequence/ time line i can see one angle. this angle happens to be the where i am getting all my sound from

3 when i play the master audio clip in the sequence it plays fine but i can not switch between angles

so how does this multiclip work i cant get the information streamlined enough in the book to give and abc answer and i have been experimenting for at least 9 hrs over 4 days and still cant get it to switch in real time.

prethanx

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: I need a M-16 for multiclip sequences
September 05, 2006 09:23PM
You need to set how many angles you want to view in the viewer drop down menu at the top right. The place where you would turn on title safe etc - choose 'multicip 4 up' or 'multiclip 9 up' or whatever you need to see.

Once you can see them all in the viewer, you can switch by clicking the angle you want as it come up.

Some good tutorials here
[www.kenstone.net]
[www.larryjordan.biz]
September 06, 2006 09:27AM
For frustration free multi-clip editing or at least for reduced frustration you should map to your keyboard the following functions:
Play Sync Off (you have to turn it off to load a new multi-clip or clip from the viewer)
Play Sync Open
Multiclip Active track V+A
Multiclip Active track V only
Multiclip Active track A only (there's a few options for this one, depends on your audio set-up)
Cut Video to Angle 1-9 number pad
Switch Video to Angle 1-9 command-number pad

Following the KenStone tutorial you can:
load a multi-clip
Make Multiclip Active track V+A
Switch Video to Angle 1-9 the angle to the audio source.
insert/overwrite your clip to the sequence
Make Multiclip Active track V only
Play Sync Open This should let you see your 4 or 9 up display in the viewer
Play your sequence and Cut Video to Angle 1-9 and watch the shots change on the fly.

ak
September 07, 2006 06:47AM
J. Corbett:

- You don't need to export and import any clips to get matching timecodes. You can simply sync your clips by "IN POINT".

OK, here goes...

Say you have 3 clips you want to sync up and create a multiclip in order to cut from one angle to the other in real time.
First thing you do is go to each one of these 3 clips and find your sync point, the same point in time in all of them.
Put an IN POINT on this frame.
You should now have 3 clips, each one with an IN POINT defining the exact same moment in time.
Now go to Menu MODIFY - MAKE MULTICLIP.
Select Sync by IN POINT.
Press Enter.
FCP has created a new clip in your Browser window (called the multiclip) which, when doucle-clicked, will show up on your Viewer as 3 little screens.
When you press play you should be able to see these three little screens play in sync.
If you don't see 3 screens go to VIEW - MULTICLIP LAYOUT and select how many windows you need.

NEXT,

At this point you should have a look at the VIEW menu, at the MULTICLIP ACTIVE ANGLES section. Here you can decide if you want to edit only video tracks or only audio tracks, or both.
So imagine you are working with video only.
Place this multiclip on your timeline (as you would any other clip).
Put the cursor on the timeline, where you want to start your editing.
Now double-click that frame to Match frame it, you should now see your original clip in the Viewer, in Multiclip form (with the little screens).
Before you touch any other key (!) go to the tiny little menu in the top center of your Canvas monitor and set it to "Open".
What this does is it syncs up your clip in the timeline with the multiclip in the Viewer (hence the importance of being on the same frame). So if you press play now both monitors should play at the same time (the Canvas from your timeline and the Viewer with your little multiclip screens).

And now comes the fun part:

If you press play on the timeline, the multiclip moves along in real time. You can now click on any one of these little multiclip screens in the Viewer window (your 3 camera angles) in real time and make your camera changes. You won't see anything happen while you do it, but as soon as you stop PLAY, look at the timeline, all those cuts you made on the Viewer's tiny little screens should be marked in your clip in the Timeline.

This way all your three clips maintain their original timecode (even if you don'tt need the timecode it's less hassle than importing and exporting), you can chose to use the audio from one camera angle or another by going to the VIEW submenus I mentioned earlier... It's actually pretty instinctive though it might not seem so when read from a manual.

I really hope this helps because I've seen tons of posts in various fcp forums of people who just couldn't get their heads around the multiclip function. I kind of discovered it on my own and then complemented what I learned with the manual.

Good luck,

Paula
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics