HDV codecIssue

Posted by Johan Polhem 
HDV codecIssue
September 10, 2006 09:18PM
Hey Guys.

I just moved some HDV quicktime files from my FCP 5 machine to a FCP 4.5 Machine and
it does not recognise my HDV files.
They both use QT 7 but the FCP 4.5 Machine does not recognise the codec and only plays sound.

Is there a way around this?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Re: HDV codecIssue
September 10, 2006 09:55PM
We had to wait for FCP5 in order to handle HDV. I don't know any way to do it in an earlier version. I don't think 4.5 has the programming hooks to handle MPEG2 in real time on the edit line.

Let's see how wrong I am.

I bet you could use QuickTime Pro raw to convert the HDV to something 4.5 can handle--one of the more conventional movie formats.

Koz
September 10, 2006 10:02PM
"I bet you could use QuickTime Pro raw to convert the HDV to something 4.5 can handle--one of the more conventional movie formats. "

I tried that as well.
Quicktime wont recognise it.
How do I fix that?

I have QT 7 PRO
September 11, 2006 01:15AM
<<<How do I fix that? >>>

I keep hoping someone is going to drop in here and tell us.

We can only do HDV on our Final Cut 5 machine. The other machines won't touch it.

Oh, wait. There may be another way.

There is such a thing as HDVxDV or something like that. It's a cousin to DVDxDV available here on the forum store.

[www.hdvxdv.com]

Koz
September 11, 2006 01:38AM
HDVxDV or Lumiere will do it in FCP 4 but your much better off upgrading to FCP 5 if you want to go native

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 13, 2006 05:40AM
Just use QTPro in FCP5 to convert the HDV files to DVCProHD. Put the DVCProHD files into FCP4.5 and you should be good to go. The file sizes will be over 4x bigger, but you'll be fine running off internal drives or external FW800, and, you'll be in a frame-based codec at 4:2:2 instead of HDV's 4:2:0 compression.

Clay
September 14, 2006 11:17PM
Rhanks Clay.

The problem is however that I do not have FCP 5 here.

This is too hard.
Forget it.

Thanks anyway guys.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics