Deck Control Issue

Posted by shelleyrae 
Deck Control Issue
September 19, 2006 01:35PM
Hi,

I did a search for "deck control" and didn't see a post that matched my particular situation. I'm working with a Panasonic DV2000 DV/mini DV combo deck. In capture mode it says VTR OK, but I am not able to control the deck in FCP. I can play and see my video if I use the deck's manual controls but FCP controls won't work, therefore cannot log clips and batch capture. I really don't want to have to resort to "capture now."

I have in the past tried this particular deck on my laptop and have had have same issue -- VTR ok, picture good -- but no deck control from FCP.

I usually use another Sony deck but it's unavailable right now. With this Sony deck the FCP controls work just fine on both laptop and desktop.

Any ideas what's going on?
Re: Deck Control Issue
September 19, 2006 01:44PM
Trash Prefs, reboot. Repost after that.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 19, 2006 11:11PM
There is a list of Apple FCP certified devices that interact with Firewire. Most of the Sony decks are but JVC seems to have issues in FCP. Might be a good idea to check out this list to see whether or not your JVC deck is on that list.
September 19, 2006 11:27PM
make sure the switch next to the firewire connection on the deck is set to 'passive'.
September 20, 2006 12:03AM
Thanks, John.

Well that's probably the case, because the Sony deck which I usually have access to has always worked fine on both computers.

Currently, I'm sharing the Sony with a friend. I usually have custody of this deck but occassionally need to relinquish it for a few days when my friend needs it.

I have the Panasonic as a back up but have only been able to do the "capture now" with it.

Where can I find this list of Apple FCP certified devices that interact with Firewire? (This will be good to know in the event that I can actually start editing instead of troubleshooting and make enough money to buy my own deck - (trying to smile).

And because "lately there is always something" I haven't been able to get an external monitor to work either. I have done all the monitor troubleshooting according to Shane Ross's monitor troubleshooting advice on proappstips.com. I have double checked all my connections and -- nothing.

But I've only had the Panasonic deck to work with since I got the external monitor I am now realizing that if this deck isn't one of the Apple Certified Firewire decks, maybe the external monitor will work with the Sony deck? I'll try that when I get it back tomorrow.

Talk about baptism by fire! My wish is that one day I will actually be able to help someone on this forum instead of being the one asking all the questions!

And of course, when I ready to make a purchase, I will go to the Final Cut Store for all my all my Final Cut needs.

Thanks once again for your help and support -- that goes for all you guys and gals.

Shelley
September 20, 2006 12:22AM
<<make sure the switch next to the firewire connection on the deck is set to 'passive'>>

Well, I was hopeful because it wasn't set to "passive". I set it -- nothing -- then tried rebooting and starting FCP again -- still nothing.

Must be the Panasonic deck is not one of the Apple Certified Firewire devices, huh? boo hoo.

I'll try with the Sony deck when I get it back tomorrow.

Thanks anyway. That's good to know for the future.
September 20, 2006 08:59AM
shelleyrae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where can I find this list of Apple FCP certified
> devices that interact with Firewire? (This will
> be good to know in the event that I can actually
> start editing instead of troubleshooting and make
> enough money to buy my own deck - (trying to
> smile).

Perhaps someone knows where that has moved to. It use to be at www.apple.com/finalcutpro/qualification, but I just went there and it's not.???? Look around the Support section and search for FCP Qualified or something like it.

> And because "lately there is always something" I
> haven't been able to get an external monitor to
> work either. I have done all the monitor
> troubleshooting according to Shane Ross's monitor
> troubleshooting advice on proappstips.com. I have
> double checked all my connections and -- nothing.

I am sorry to hear that. It may be the setup on the deck as it needs to make the output of the Firewire to the deck "pass thru" to the analg output for connecting to the television. The manual for that deck should tell you about setting it up.

> But I've only had the Panasonic deck to work
> with since I got the external monitor I am now
> realizing that if this deck isn't one of the Apple
> Certified Firewire decks, maybe the external
> monitor will work with the Sony deck? I'll try
> that when I get it back tomorrow.

I thought you mentioned that you had a JVC deck and a Sony? If the deck is a Panasonic, what is the model number. Most every Panasonic deck built in the last 4-5 years is FCP compatible.

> Talk about baptism by fire! My wish is that one
> day I will actually be able to help someone on
> this forum instead of being the one asking all the
> questions!

If you keep this up, you will be getting there sooner than you imagine.

John
September 20, 2006 12:38PM
John,
I couldn't find the approved devices doc either. It's nowhere to be found. What's up with that?
September 20, 2006 01:58PM
They moved it out of applecare docs. Its here

[www.apple.com]

Remember though, if your device is not on this list its not because it doesn't work. It's because Apple just hasn't gotten around to testing it

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2006 11:08PM
Thanks. I checked the list for Panasonic AG-DV2000. The Panasonic AG-2000P is listed. This must be a newer model. The AG-DV2000 I have is seven years old so maybe its too old?
September 21, 2006 10:32AM
Thanks - And who is the "dim bulb" that used the background and almost the same color text on this???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics