WAY OT - get in the habit of weekly backups!!!

Posted by wayne granzin 
WAY OT - get in the habit of weekly backups!!!
October 05, 2006 03:49PM
its a sad, sad day here in houston.

last night i decided i was way over due for my annual machine wipe and reinstall. so i backed up my itunes, microsoft user data, etc., and set disk utility to write zeros on my boot drive and went home.

when i returned this morning, i noticed that my second internal seagate media drive "*WORK01" was now titled "macHD"

in my zeal for cleaning, i accidentally clicked my media drive instead of my boot drive and pretty much 70% of everything ive done in the past 18 months is now GONE. invoices, HVX test footage, my astros footage, 3 major client projects (thank goodness, all delivered and paid for!), files for my new website, my OLD website - all gone.

so this post is a message to everyone - get a GOOD external hard drive or tape back up and when you go home on fridays back stuff up!!!!!!!
Re: WAY OT - get in the habit of weekly backups!!!
October 05, 2006 04:21PM
The lesson here REALLY is you should be super-careful & take your time with selecting which drive you nuke.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 05, 2006 05:11PM
I have software that backs up my files every week to an external drive.

I feel your pain. I have been EXACTLY where you were...4 years ago. Oh the horror.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 05, 2006 05:18PM
Bummer Wayne

Feel for ya. Truly.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 05, 2006 07:04PM
Man that sucks, but you said your media drive. Is your itunes music ok? I may have misunderstood something.

If I lost my music I would cry seriously it has taken too muck work to get my music the way i like it I do however backup the itunes files the .XML and the other one I can't remember the extension, and my music is in two places Ipod and Hard Drive and thats good enough for me. I'm going to deffinately take advantage of the backup feature in Itunes 7.

Wow that was long sorry

Sean
October 05, 2006 07:13PM
Ohhhhh...that hurts. Devastating.

One of my worst nightmares. Hasn't happened to me yet, though karma says I'm due. So I sloooow myself down to a crawl when I format other drives. And I'm still bracing myself for the day when I accidentally install QuickTime 7 on my FCP4.5 system.

I'm a backup demon and even for me a weekly backup routine of my two internal drives is hard to keep up. I did that once with my first G4 system, with a Promax drive permanently hooked up to the computer. Thought I was smart. Until the day somebody broke into my apartment and stole both my PC and my Mac...and the external backup was useless because the burglar stole that as well. Since then, I haven't risked leaving a backup drive hooked up to the computer when not in use, which makes backing up more of a chore.

I wouldn't consider this off-topic. I think this should be pasted in big bold letters at the top of the Tutorials and FAQ pages. Even a pro can slip up...so all you newbies who talk about capturing whole tapes as one clip, and work on one single project file for eight months, and daisy-chain eight external FireWire drives and never turn them off, and work on a project for 16 hours without saving once...

What do you think now?

www.derekmok.com
October 06, 2006 10:19PM
Ugnh. Sorry to hear it Wayne. Makes the pit of your stomach drop out when you realise you've done something like that.

October 07, 2006 02:11PM
yeah, when i walked in and saw what had happened i just stood there for like 3 minutes blinking. hoping that each time i opened my eyes, that i'd just misread the name.

oh well, one lives and one hopefully leearns right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics