Newbie question Project files

Posted by kmaultsby 
Newbie question Project files
October 09, 2006 10:28PM
Were do you save your project files on your scratch disk or your system disk?
Re: Newbie question Project files
October 09, 2006 10:40PM
Where ever you feel that it is the "safest". Generallly it is good to make a copy of the current project file to a removable disk after finishing the day's work on a project.
October 09, 2006 11:40PM
its generally advisable to have ALL your project files (scratch, capture, graphics, etc.) on a totally seperate volume than your system drive.

imagine if you will, trying to read and write a book at the same time. thats what its like trying to work off your system drive - maybe a bit too severe of a comparision, but you get the drift.

get yourself a second internal drive or an external sata raid, firewire drive, etc...
October 10, 2006 04:58AM
Wayne I am just asking about the project file.
October 10, 2006 10:17AM
> Wayne I am just asking about the project file.

Read his post carefully. He's recommending that you don't keep any files associated with the project on the system disk.

www.derekmok.com
October 10, 2006 11:23AM
logic applies to ALL work files of ANY kind. good file management, dictates that you should keep all your files in a single place. a HUGE benefit of which being that it makes backup/archiving easier.

do a search of the forum for topics like "file management" or "folder stucture" and you'll find a ton of usefull info, we've discussed this in great detail and examples are given
October 10, 2006 11:45AM
when a project file is open it is held in RAM.
it poses no problem for the system at all to store it, in my mind.
writting the project back to the system drive when you save it will hardly tax today's cimputers

if you want to move around with the project,
as in take it from system to system,
keep all media and projects on an external drive.

if you are staying put,
then as john sensibly says, anywhere you feel is safe,
AND REMEMBER TO BACKUP DAILY!!!!!

nick
October 10, 2006 01:29PM
File management would make a great category for the FAQ. Get on that will ya Wayne?

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 10, 2006 09:51PM
I guess what I am trying to understand guys is like at this time my project file folder is on my scratch disk for example I editing my Maui vacation after I am finish with this project or if my scratch disk becomes full and I want to delete all the old media and files to make room on my scratch disk. Now if I put my project files on my system disk or another external disk and leave it there and say two months from now I need to re edit can I do this? And all I have to do is re-capture. I am a newbie so for give me if sounds like a dumb question.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics