using footage from dvds

Posted by Daniel R 
using footage from dvds
March 23, 2006 12:13PM
hi,

im sure this has been covered to death, but i can't seem to be able to find a good simple answer. what is the best way to cut a project that uses footage from mass produced and copyrighted dvds?

all legally used, of course.

thanks,

daniel
Re: using footage from dvds
March 23, 2006 02:42PM
Copyrighted material? Legally Used? You'll have to explain what you are doing a bit more in order to get help here.

Do you have permission from the filmmakers?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
March 23, 2006 02:59PM
yessir, but the project is also for personal use, so it shouldnt really make much diff anyhow...
DH
March 23, 2006 03:12PM
Hi all.

Daniel, are you sure you have permission from ALL of the people from whom you need permission? I do not mean to sound like I am impeding you. However, by not having ALL the right permissions, you could be getting yourself into trouble. Permission from the filmmakers is one thing. Did you get permission from the production houses/distributors?

Assuming that you have ALL the necessary permissions, you could use MPEG Streamclip to extract the *.m2v and *.ac3 files from the multiplexed *.vob files on the source DVDs. This will probably be the first step. From there, you will probably import into FCP to integrate with your own footage. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Take care.

-DH
March 23, 2006 03:39PM
> yessir, but the project is also for personal use, so it shouldnt really make
> much diff anyhow...

"Personal use" actually does qualify as copyright violation. Purchasing a DVD does not entitle you to use imagery or music from the film on your personal website, a MySpace page, or even a wedding video, theoretically speaking. What are you intending to use it for, in what context, and what permissions have you acquired?

> Assuming that you have ALL the necessary permissions, you could use
> MPEG Streamclip to extract the *.m2v and *.ac3 files from the multiplexed
> *.vob files on the source DVDs.

MPEG Streamclip cannot break through copyright protection on DVDs.
DH
March 23, 2006 03:46PM
Hi all.

Oops. Derek, you are right. I was thinking of another program. Sorry for the confusion.

-DH
March 23, 2006 09:09PM
Daniel

Where I work we use DVD Wizard Pro now. It is by far the best and cleanest tool available. DVD Squeeze is also good, but not as user friendly. With DVD Wizard, it's as simple as a point and a click and you're on you way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics