why did clip get nudged sideways in the canvas?

Posted by Chris Maher 
why did clip get nudged sideways in the canvas?
October 24, 2006 01:04AM
how can I get clips to snap back to their proper place in the frame? can't eyeball it cause I am trying to cut in clips from an older version of the movie that were not nudged of course wouldn't want to anyway...

(in the canvas it's been quite awhile that I now see all these graphics when the movie is not running: many #s and a big X through the window, I suppose this has something to do with my accidentally making these displacements happen, maybe should shut all that off.

thank you in advance again senseis!

grasshopper
Re: why did clip get nudged sideways in the canvas?
October 24, 2006 01:12AM
Go to the top of you viewer and canvas windows and under the small broken square box at the top right, select 'image ' - not 'image and wireframe'.

The double click a clip that has 'slipped' to load it in the browser. Then in the viewer window, select the 'Motion' tab and hit all the red crosses all the way down the page under the word 'Nav'.

What it sounds like you have done is you've had image and wireframe on, which means you can move the image around in the viewer or canvas with your mouse. Turning it off will stop this happening again. The big blue cross tells you it is turned on.

You could go through manually and correct each of the slipped clips, or you could use paste attributes to clean them up a bunch at a time.

October 24, 2006 01:22AM
thanks. red crosses aren't moving clip into place for some reason but I can put 0s in that orientation grid and that will do it I think

thanks again!!!
October 24, 2006 01:49AM
Even easier: In the timeline, select all the clips that have been moved accidentally. Press OPTION-APPLE-V (Remove Attributes). Choose Basic Motion. Unless you have intentional Scale and Center values in those clips you want retained, this is the fastest way to get rid of Motion attributes.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 02:05AM
oh great, that is easier!

while I have you on the line, I see something about drop shadow...greyed out in that window...

I wanted to apply such to titles... and have no clue naturally...

(also, why do they look so steppy? in adobe premier it seemed they were much smoother... and antialiasing isn't really any great shakes either, at least from what I see on my computer monitor (Haven't checked the result on a vid monitor yet

Is there anything I can do to get a cleaner looking font?)

should I actually post a new topic to pose this question?
October 24, 2006 03:13AM
Your titles are probably fine; you may be seeing them as a Preview (try 'Option R'). For more options... I think a common titling worklflow may work for you:

Once your cut is locked, turnoff your temp FCP titles, export a reference Quicktime movie and import it into Motion as a base layer (provided you're working in your final resolution). Motion as a titling tool has more options than FCP & Livetype. Then when you come up with a type treatment, export from Motion back into FCP to overcut your sequence.

Or you could leave on your temp titles for timing purposes, bring in a reference movie into Motion and create titles to later export as alpha channels... I guess it depends on your project/workflow.
October 24, 2006 03:28AM
I figured I should have kept my mouth shut until viewing on monitor re quality of font...

I don't have Motion however, do have AE but am pretty clueless at operating it just yet.

Is there a drop shadow for text in FCP? when I used premiere it was an option but I wanted "flat" then, now I want "deep/rich"...

I've heard it's possible!
October 24, 2006 03:43AM
Which titles did you use? Both the normal text titler and the 3d titler have drop shadow options.

I'ts better to use the 3d titler - better quality. If you check the tabs on the let hand side of the 3d titler popup window, you'll see the drop shaow icon option. Click this and adjust at will.

October 24, 2006 03:50AM
Check these settings in the 3d titler. Also, make sure to select your text before applying the drop shadow. Only text that is selected in the window will change.

October 24, 2006 03:57AM
thanks am checking this out (didn't realize there was such a thing)

must try to find my way around this window

it looks like I can figure most of it out (and I like some of the outlining options!)

but. . . am definitely at a loss to get how color is applied to the text.
when I click on the prismatic display as if to choose a color it simply turns to black and white. . .
October 24, 2006 04:07AM
Highlight your text in the three d window like you see above.

Click on the third tab down that looks like a gradient.

Make sure 'Fill on' is checked and style opacity is at 100% or whatever you are trying to achieve.

Click the grey box next to the words Style Colour. Select a colour. (Check that you're not in a 'greyscale' submenu at the top of this window.)

That should do it.

October 24, 2006 04:12AM
thanks, I think I've got it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics