Applying colored borders at 16 by 9 FHA

Posted by Phil UK 
Applying colored borders at 16 by 9 FHA
October 24, 2006 09:33AM
I wish to make colored borders for commercials in Final Cut that will adjust correctly from 16 by 9 to Full Height Anamorphic...how do I do this. After Effects title safe is different to that in FCP which has caused size conflicts and is tedious..thank you...Phil UK
Re: Applying colored borders at 16 by 9 FHA
October 24, 2006 09:50AM
> that will adjust correctly from 16 by 9 to Full Height Anamorphic

?????
You mean your spot is in anamorphic 16:9?
Not sure what exactly you're talking about here.

If your sequence and clips are anamorphic 16:9, whatever graphics you make in FCP will automatically be anamorphic and will adjust along with the picture, either when you perform a letterbox crunch or when the final output is played on an anamorphic 16:9-enabled device.

The border is simple. Just use a colour matte, then use an inverted rectangular Mask Shape to dig a hole in the middle. Use the Horizontal and Vertical scale attributes of the Mask Shape to determine how big the hole is.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 10:37AM
How do I dig the Hole? Is the effect under Matte? Thanks Derek
October 24, 2006 10:41AM
Derek, how do I change the color of the border from black to cream...FHA is stretched for commercial broadcast arc.
October 24, 2006 11:14AM
Look on the screen capture above. All I did was put a Color Matte object (FCP's own Generator) above the footage I want. To change the colour of the border, just change the colour of the Color Matte.

To dig the hole, put a Mask Shape filter (Effects - Video Filters - Matte - Mask Shape) on the Color Matte. Look at my Viewer window to see what settings I used. Adjust as you want it.

Still not sure what you mean by "full height anamorphic". There's only one kind of anamorphic 16:9 that I know of -- when a 16:9 image is vertically stretched to fill a 720x480 frame so that it can be crunched back down later on by an anamorphic 16:9-enabled device, or crunched into a 4:3 letterbox image.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2006 11:50AM
You are correct about FHA...however..the border alters size and looks wrong when stretched vertically to FHA..I have tried a number of ways but it does not work. If youy appl the border to normal 16 by 9 and it looks good..then export and import so the clip is self contained then lay in a timeline..when you change the Aspect ration fro 0 to 33.33 (FHA) the size of the clip changes and it needs to be be made bigger so the clip fits the canvas perfectly, no black around the edges. When this is correct it can go to British TV stations who then ARC it.
October 24, 2006 11:57AM
You're trying to make letterboxed 4:3 footage into Anamorphic 16:9?

First of all, you can't use Distort - Aspect Ratio for that. That will crunch your footage horizontally so that you'll end up with black bars on the sides. And if you're then trying to use Scale to make it fit, everything suffers.

You need to do this by hand. Try moving all the Y values in your Distort to around 320. For example, in DV NTSC, Upper Left is at -360, -240, Lower Right is at 360, 240. Instead, make them -360, -320 and 360, 320. That should stretch the image to fill the 16:9 frame without having to blow up size. Theoretically, Distort shouldn't mess with your image quality as much as scaling it up.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics