Trouble capturing HDV with the JVC deck

Posted by rgdfilms 
Trouble capturing HDV with the JVC deck
November 07, 2006 03:17PM
Hey guys

In a bit of a stint - I am capturing HDV shot in 720p30 on the JVC HD-100 through the latest version of FCP 5 - The video will play fine on my CRT when I use the component outputs, however capturing is a different story - I get nothing but a black screen in the log and capture window. When I capture the clip, I can hear the audio of the clip but the video plays white. What's going on here? FCP Bug or camera/ tape problem..?

Thanks!

RD
Re: Trouble capturing HDV with the JVC deck
November 07, 2006 03:46PM
Crap I am beginning to think that this was filmmed in 720p60
November 07, 2006 03:46PM
Are you *sure* it was 30 and not 29.97?

I don't think there is an HDV 30.00.

Let's assume it was 29.97. Do you have all your capture settings and Video and Audio settings under Final Cut Pro match the tapes?

Did you just recently upgrade to all those versons of software? Has this ever worked?

Koz
November 07, 2006 03:49PM
Do you have QuickTime Pro?

I don't know this would work, but can you capture in that? This is left-field, blue sky stuff now, but QuickTime will capture FireWire standard video by itself.

If that does work, you can use the QuickTime Info panels to figure out what you have.

Koz
November 07, 2006 03:54PM
Yep. Our QuickTime Pro will capture with all the Kona2 HiDef standards, so there's a shot.

Koz
November 07, 2006 03:56PM
Well to be honest, I don't know if it was 720p24, 720p30 or 29,97 - I did not record the video and the shooter did not leave me with any info. I would phone the shooter but they are not available -

To change between DV, HDV 24 and HDV 30, I am using the Easy Setup within FCP - I will try Quicktime

When I play the HDV tape on a regular monitor, it says, SD60 as the format, yet, when I hit DISPLAY on the deck, it tells me that it is 720p

This is very confusing

I tried another JVC tape, and it played & captured fine within FCP
November 07, 2006 04:10PM
Quicktime is a no go - I am stumped ... Maybe I should get LumiereHD ?
November 07, 2006 08:00PM
Select one of the captured clips and do a Command-9 just to confirm the properties of the clip and what you captured at?

The JVC system seems to work better with PC NLE's. Dunno why.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics