How to reposition timeline marker

Posted by shelleyrae 
How to reposition timeline marker
November 12, 2006 08:18PM
I'm trying to reposition some of my timeline markers that I created to help me remind me where to put some title graphics. I started moving clips around and the markers are now not where I want them. I have tried the short cut in the marker menu which says to use the shift and ' key but still can't move them. Does any one know another way to reposition timeline markers?

Thanks,
Re: How to reposition timeline marker
November 12, 2006 08:34PM
Press m while the playhead is over the marker. You can either key in the new timecode for where the marker's supposed to be, or use +/- a certain number of frames/seconds to move the marker.

Control of markers is still not an FCP strong suit. However, SHIFT-` should work. Remember that this command works for the marker immediately before it -- ie. it can only be used to move markers ahead in the timeline, not backwards. It's much easier to just put new markers and redo that rather than muck with your old ones, especially if your edit has changed considerably.

If you've only inserted one new portion into the timeline, you can use an old version of your project file, call up the old sequence, then paste it into your new sequence, figure out the offset and put new markers by using the old sequence as a measuring stick.

www.derekmok.com
November 12, 2006 09:37PM
Really wish we could drag markers man.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 12, 2006 09:43PM
And cut, copy and paste...

And Copy/Paste Attributes...

Or, make timeline markers (eg. DVD Chapter Markers) "stick" to a certain clip if so desired.

www.derekmok.com
November 13, 2006 11:55AM
Thanks guys,

I messed with repo method using Shift-` - Pretty useless since I needed to move the markers backward. Also tried +/- timecode but found it quicker just to copy the info from the old marker, delete the old marker and paste the info into the new marker.

Hopefully, subsequent versions of FCP will improve upon this. It would be nice to be able to click and drag.

Shelley Rae
November 13, 2006 03:14PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And cut, copy and paste...
>
> And Copy/Paste Attributes...
>
> Or, make timeline markers (eg. DVD Chapter
> Markers) "stick" to a certain clip if so desired.

Just put the markers to the clip and use my free readXML to make chapter markers out of it.

Regards
Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics