Robert Altman is gone

Posted by Scott Taylor 
Robert Altman is gone
November 21, 2006 01:12PM
Here is one of what will no doubt be many articles on the subject: Robert Altman.

Scott
Re: Robert Altman is gone
November 21, 2006 01:39PM
Such a shame and such a loss. I thought he'd live forever. He thought he'd live forever. And the last several years gave us some of his best work.

My favorite Altman movie will always be Mash, but Players, Gosford Park, and Short Cuts rank right up there. And who can not appreciate Nashville and McCabe and Mrs. Miller. Damn, such a shame and I bet he had a number of good films left in him.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 21, 2006 03:33PM
M.A.S.H. & Players = timeless classics. I will miss him.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 21, 2006 05:19PM
I'll miss his films. My mom took me to see McCabe and Mrs. Miller when I was around 10. It introduced me to naked ladies and swearing.

Thank You Robert Altman.

Recently, I met Maysie Hoy, oine of his chief editors, and collaborators. Heard all the war stories. She did yeoman work on "The Player" amongst others.

She was also one of the naked ladies in "McCabe and Mrs. Miller."
She also cut the film I was an extra in, "Joy Luck Club".
She also cut the film I got injured on that sent me back to the editing suite, "What Dreams May Come".

What a trip.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
November 21, 2006 06:52PM
My first job in Hollywood was as a production assistant on "Popeye" shot in Malta in 1980.

"Bob" as everyone called him, made everyone, even a lowly "PA" like me, feel welcome to participate and contribute to the creative process. Rarely since have I met anyone as secure in their position that they would not only listen to, but encourage everyone on the set to join in the fun of making a movie.

Everyone was invited to attend dailies and with the cast sitting around you, it was like watching home movies.

I look back fondly on that experience and have tried to carry with me throughout my career the openess to creative ideas regardless of where they come from. Since "Popeye" was my first A-list, feature experience, I just thought that's how everyone was.... NOT!

He will be missed.

Mark
November 22, 2006 03:48AM
Very organic, unstructured, brilliant filmmaker who loved his actors. My connection? Ha! He started out at Calvin Productons, Kansas. One of my first editing tutors was an editor from Calvin!! I immediately began overlapping dialog.

Favorites thus far:

MASH
BREWSTER MCLOUD
THE PLAYER

I was amazed to learn he'd spent the past ten years with a transplanted heart. In that time he gave us GOSFORD PARK, THE GINGERBREAD MAN, and some TV. He shall be missed.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Do a virtual Audio Mixdown to lighten playback load with Command-Option-R!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 22, 2006 08:19AM
Great story, Mark. Love to hear about the big guns treating the lowly P.A.'s like family (I was a freelance slave - err - P.A. for 2 years in Miami in the 80's).

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 22, 2006 11:15AM
He let his actors run with it. Actors loved him for that. I remember when he received his Oscar, that was something he said about his directing style.

A felliniesque director... wish there were more like him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics