codec sequence message

Posted by fran benton 
codec sequence message
November 24, 2006 01:51PM
Hi Folks, Over the years this forum has saved my life. I thank you guys so much for the help. I hope you maybe have some suggestions for my current pickle.
I have a 42 minute doc that is finished. I ran it through Media Manager and it cut some audio too hard. I decided I would just go back to my source tapes and recapture the audio. When I did that it came up with a codec unrecognised message. I deleted the audio and found that by putting the audio on the timeline it affected the adjacent clips with the codec message. I deleted the adjacent clips. When I went to start up the sequence again it affected the sequence. Now the error message says that the codec of the sequence does not match the hardware card. I read back over previous posts and thought I would clean up all the disc clutter, run mac janitor, run the disc utility, trash my preferences, and start up the sequence again. Those actions were no help for this problem. Naturally I have tried all the other logical codecs. I also tried to restore the project thinking that I would just go back to a previously autosaved version. The sequence still locks up.
Then I decided to have a nice big rum and coke and read the manual and anything else I could get my hands on. I won't be back to the mac until tuesday but I would be so very pleased if any of you wonderful guys had some suggestions!
Re: codec sequence message
November 24, 2006 04:01PM
> I have a 42 minute doc that is finished. I ran it through Media Manager and it cut some audio
> too hard.

Not sure what you mean by that. I'm assuming you need handles and you didn't ask Media Manager to allow for any.

Did you use the "Create offline" option when using Media Manager? If you had used "Modify existing", you may be headed for a world of hurt -- that's a big no-no, a one-way ticket to possible media destruction.

I think you've jumped the gun. "Codec unrecognized" probably just means you have some of the Audio/Video Settings (eg. Capture Presets, Device Control) set wrong. What is your media format? DigiBeta? DVCam? What hardware are you using? Capture card, if any?

Don't mess with hardware and utility applications. I have a sneaky feeling that's not the source of your problem, and if you mess around with them too much, you could create new problems that compound your old ones.

www.derekmok.com
November 25, 2006 07:10PM
Thanks for your response Derek.
I did use "use existing", and I added handles, I won't be doing it again that's for sure! Curiously the sequence looked just fine when I checked it after using"use existing" except for the missing audio clips. I wish I never had used the media manager at all because I was almost ready to clean the completed project off the computer.
I think you are right about fiddling around with the system when, in fact, its that specific project on FCP that is the problem. I have a JVC deck and I import material from mini DV tapes for my projects. Getting the mac and that deck to co-operate in importing and especially exporting has always been a challenge. Fortunately I am patient and actually expect problems!
I have two hard drives (FCP on one and projects on the other. I have the JVC deck, an external hard drive and a extra monitor on the system. I don't have a capture card.
My plan for the project was to market the doc to a local audience. I do have a DVD that I burned of an earlier version of this project. Do you think it is possible to get decent copies made from copying a DVD like this? That was my backup plan if I have to use it.
Thanks Derek!
November 25, 2006 08:06PM
> I do have a DVD that I burned of an earlier version of this project. Do you think it is possible
> to get decent copies made from copying a DVD like this?

You can extract video-DVD content and make it editable, but I wouldn't call the quality "decent". If you need to change the edit, I'd suggest recapturing your media from the original logs. But if you just want DVD copies, you can make copies from the DVD you already have.

www.derekmok.com
November 25, 2006 10:16PM
Thanks Derek,
I think I had better find the problem with that sequence then as I would like the copies to be excellent quality. I was going to hand the duplication company a DVD to duplicate. What form do you like to hand material to a company to do multiple copies?
As to the sequence problem, perhaps I could try unplugging all the external devices (especially that problem deck) and hoping I can get FCP to read the sequence without the codec message. I have changed around all the A/V preferences and tried different codecs so I guess this might be the next thing to try.
Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics