Does RE-SYNC-ing Multiclips reflect in your timeline??

Posted by watjason 
Does RE-SYNC-ing Multiclips reflect in your timeline??
November 24, 2006 01:59PM
Ive been using the MC function to edit with. Im only dealing with 2 cameras...CAM 1 and CAM 2. For the most part all has been going well, but Ive noticed a number of MC's that are "out of sync." Meaning that CAM 1 is out of sync with CAM 2.

My question is.. Does anyone know OR can anyone confirm that IF you pull up the master MC from the browser, and sync that up (using the 'control''shift''scrub' method), will it then reflect the fix in your timeline? Meaning will any cuts that Ive taken from that master MC and put them in the timeline, will they be fixed automatically? SO FAR, I cant tell. I mean there isnt any consistancy. Sometimes its reflected in the timeline...and others arent. Then to double check myself, I 'double-click' the clip in the timeline and fix the sync in the source window. THEN I even 'matchframe MC' (dont know if thats the same as 'double-clicking') and fix that sync in the source window!

Basically I feel like Im wasting time and doing double, sometimes triple duty on fixing snyc issues!! HELP!!
Re: Does RE-SYNC-ing Multiclips reflect in your timeline??
November 24, 2006 03:58PM
Don't know about anybody else, but I'm utterly confused by what you wrote. What's "MC"? Master Clip? Then what's a "master MC"? "If you pull up the master MC from the browser, and sync that up"...with what?

"Then to double check myself, I 'double-click' the clip in the timeline and fix the sync in the source window. THEN I even 'matchframe MC' (dont know if thats the same as 'double-clicking') and fix that sync in the source window!"

Huh? Huh? What's a "source window"? What's "matchframe MC"?

Sloooow down and write coherently. Use proper terminology; don't make up your own.

Which camera contains the clean sound? Camera 1 or Camera 2?

If Camera 1 has the clean sound, then you're trying to sync Camera 2 to it. I do not recommend messing with the master clip in the Browser. Find the sync point in Camera 1, and the equivalent sync point in Camera 2. Use markers to line them up.

Do the cameras stop and start together? If not, then any time one camera cuts, you will lose the sync relationship.

Is there scratch sound on the camera which doesn't contain the clean sound feed?

www.derekmok.com
November 24, 2006 05:00PM
Just to throw in my two cents:

I had a problem with a two camera shoot with both cameras constantly stopping/starting at various times. ( In my opinion, all editors should shoot a few things before they EVER touch a keyboard! But, that's another discussion thread.)

I found the sync point for that particular moment, and made a new multi-clip. My browser was LOADED with mulit-clips for a simple two hour event, but it all worked fine.

Cameron Young
November 24, 2006 06:00PM
> In my opinion, all editors should shoot a few things before they EVER touch a keyboard! But,
> that's another discussion thread.

Hmm...sounds like the other way around -- shooters should edit to a good extent before they start marketing themselves as pros. Every editor who's done multi-camera knows that starting and stopping all the time makes syncing a nightmare.

In those cases, I'd probably do all the sync work before hand and then keep the sync timelines, or use auxiliary timecode. And possibly re-export the clips in synced form before editing.

www.derekmok.com
November 24, 2006 06:22PM
Thats funny cuz to me that post seems very easy to understand if you are an editor. I havent made up ANY terminology? Im writing as coherently as I can... MC is an abbreviation to "Multiclip" which was in the title of this post right above...shouldnt of been that big a stretch figure out. Therefore the "master MC is the "master Multiclip". I abbreviated Multiclip to MC because I saw others on this forum doing it and to make typing faster... Otherwise I didnt make up my own terminology?? SOURCE window, come on?? One window is for "source" clips and the other is for your timeline which is a "record window." These terms are old terms back when things used to be linear, but are still used today by most people who edit. I just figured everyone knew what I meant...

Im talking about a Multiclip that has 2 camera sources and them getting out of sync with each other. If I pull up the master multiclip and re-sync it (meaning sync-ing up the 2 cameras within the mulitclip) does that then update any clips taken from it already in my timeline? If not, is there a way to do it so I dont have to do twice and sometimes 3 times?? Does that sound clearer, I hope?
November 24, 2006 06:51PM
> SOURCE window, come on?? One window is for "source" clips and the other is for your
> timeline which is a "record window."

It's called the Viewer in FCP.

> I'm talking about a Multiclip that has 2 camera sources and them getting out of sync with
> each other.

Is it a drift (sync slipping over time, getting worse with time) or an offset (consistent amount of sync offset between the two clips, same amount over time)?

I'm assuming you checked sync in the entire Multiclip when you'd first made it and sync was on?

With only two angles, I might suggest that you just put perfectly synced copies of your two angles into a timeline and go back to that whenever you have a sync problem. Do the work in the beginning and never have to worry about it again. I don't think Multiclip really saves you time unless you're working with a lot more angles.

www.derekmok.com
November 24, 2006 07:07PM
Its not a drifting problem and its not any kind of offset. Its weird. Not all shots taken from the same Multiclip are out of sync...only some. And not by any consistent amount. So thats why I cant figure this out. I agree, in most cases I wouldnt bother using this multiclip function with only 2 cameras. But for the purpose of this edit, Im making 2 versions. One being my original cut. The other has to be the exact opposite..meaning everytime I took cam 1, I would need to take camera 2 instead, and vice versa. Thats why I figured if I used the multiclip function to edit this video, for the 2nd version I could just go back and group select shots on my tiimeline and switch the angles for all of them at once.

Therefore I was hoping someone knew a way to "fix" a sync issue on a master multiclip and have that be reflected in my timeline, so I dont have to go through and check shot by shot.
November 24, 2006 07:07PM
Derek, I stand corrected....I was a shooter first, and learned editing while still a cameraman (I'm talking ENG stuff), and editing taught me to be better behind the lens....shot choices, lighting, composing, and basically editing "in the camera"....so, what I should have said was, one should have a working knowledge of both crafts.

<<is there a way to do it so I dont have to do twice and sometimes 3 times??>>

It's really not that difficult to make three or more Multi Clips from two cameras. Just add a new "in" point on each clip, and make a new multiclip. It's definitely a pain, going through all the camera stops, and tape reloads, but doable.

Cameron Young
November 25, 2006 09:43AM
watjason..

you've spotted it:
MCs (multiclips) are very inconsistent in their behaviour!

i think your question is one best answered by yourself.
if you've tried re-syncing their MC from the browser and the TL (timeline) clips dont reflect that,
then i guess that's it.
you'll have to replace all the TL clips

did you know that FCP 5.1.2 now treats MCs as master clips?
that;s a big improvement, and one that may help you.

i don't know as i haven't upgraded myself.
however, my suspicion is that MCs are still the weakest part of FCP.
that they do'nt get tagged as such by too many people may be because they aren't using them.

nick
November 25, 2006 12:11PM
I'll agree with Nicks assesment of multiclips.
There are all sorts of hard to track little quirks with multiclips that are hard to explain to people who aren't using them and because there are a few significantly different methods of cutting with multiclips even other multiclip users won't run into the same issues.

One we run into frequently is that a multiclip has the pixel dimensions/pixel aspect ratio of the original footage, but once you place it into a sequence it can shift to that sequences pixel aspect ratio and nothing you can do can change it back. Other properties of multiclips are sticky as well and revert back once you've switched or cut angles in a sequence. Markers disappear, distort settings revert, not consistently but enough to be a pain.
Our ingest method has been pretty stable and we've been at 5.1.2 for about two weeks now so I haven't seen these problems recently but that's not because they're gone.
ak

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics