Best DVD+R DL

Posted by kkiki 
Best DVD+R DL
March 27, 2006 12:25AM
when using a MAC G5, what is the best DVD+R DL to use. Every time I burn a DVD it skips on my laptop and other DVD player sources, but some have worked.

History/English Teacher
MEd.
Re: Best DVD+R DL
March 27, 2006 01:00AM
First I'd switch to DVD-Rs. DVD-Rs should play on about 92 per cent of DVD players, but DVD+Rs on only about 86 per cent.

Second, I'd check your encoding. Too high a data rate will cause discs to fail.
March 27, 2006 01:27AM
Thanks for the response. The problem here is that my movie is about 6G in size and must fit on a DL. I can change to a lower quality so it will play on a DVD-R, but will I loose much in quality? What do you recommend for encoding levels when burning from iDVD? Thanks
kkiki

History/English Teacher
MEd.
March 27, 2006 01:36AM
Oh, is there a better DVD+R DL to use than others?

Post Edited (03-26-06 23:37)

History/English Teacher
MEd.
March 27, 2006 08:10AM
Is it 6 gig before you drop it into iDVD? iDVD should be able to handle that on a single layer no problem.

Don't compress before going to iDVD. Just export a quicktime movie (not quicktime conversion) and drop the file this makes into iDVD. Anything up to about 2 hours should be fine. More than 2 hours and you get trouble.

I think as long as you stay with good name brand dvds you should be fine. I like TDKs, myself.
March 27, 2006 10:30AM
There are dual layer DVD-R media available, The difference is it is called Dual Layer where DVD+R is Double Layer.
March 27, 2006 11:40PM
Jude:
it is a 32gig file before iDVD. If I compress it down to a single layer, will I loose a lot?

History/English Teacher
MEd.
March 27, 2006 11:42PM
I have to admit that I think you have lost me....

History/English Teacher
MEd.
March 28, 2006 05:36AM
OK. Start from the top. Are you using iDVD to make a movie to show on a DVD player?

Are you exporting your movie from FCP? Which version?

How long is the movie?
March 29, 2006 12:40AM
kkiki - it's a good idea to keep the discussion on the forum, so anyone with the same problem later can come to the thread for answers, and everyone else can chip in with stuff they know - so I'm reposting your eamil here. Hope that's OK.

Thank you for your patience...
The movie was made in iMovie 5.0.2 with a LiveType intro.
The movie is about 32 gigs
I am trying to use iDVD to create a burned copy of the movie
I have a OSX G5 20 inch
Does that help out much?
I have burned movies with both Verbatim and some other brand not in front of me at this time. I do own Final Cut Express HD but have not imported the iMovie into it to play with.
I await my medical treatment Dr. House....
Thanks,
Kelly

I've never used iMovie, so I'm not sure how you get media out of it. Someone else will be able to help more, I'm sure.

You still need to tell us how long the movie is - is it more than two hours long?
March 29, 2006 12:55AM
The movie length is aboot (Canadian) 1 hour 20 minutes. Thanks

History/English Teacher
MEd.
March 29, 2006 01:34AM
Gidday (Australian winking smiley). iDVD can handle movies up to about 2 hours on a single layer disc.

What you need to do is export a self contained movie out of iMovie - though I'm not sure how this is done without compression in iMovie, sorry - then drop it into iDVD and let it do its thing.

iDVD will choose the best compression based on the length of the media and make you a DVD that will play on *most* players. It's a lot of hard work and money to get discs that will play on *all* players, guaranteed. Even my local dub house has a disclaimer about it on their invoices.

But you should end up with a good, clean, single layer DVD-r that works well.
March 29, 2006 01:53AM
I just went and opened imovie to see what the options were and it looks like you can make the dvd by launching in iMovie.

Just click the 'idvd' button on the bottom right of your screen, then click 'create idvd project'. This will launch idvd with your project inserted.

You can then customise your dvd and then hit burn. It will open the dvd burner and ask for a disk. Insert disk, and wait.

Is this the way you normally do it?

I'm suspicious that you might be taking too many steps and messing up the compression a bit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics