FCP rendering video makes it brighter

Posted by thatcher 
FCP rendering video makes it brighter
December 08, 2006 07:39PM
My system/project info
G5 dual core
FCP 5.0.4

Blackmagic uncompressed 10bit 1080p timelines and footage.

So I am trying to export a final project for a short film. All my footage is 10bit uncompressed blackmagic codec. The timelines are the same. I exported my opening titles from aftereffects in the same blackmagic 10bit codec. I put them in Final cut and the video doesn't need to be rendered or anything. It matches the timeline, etc. So I applied a couple transitions to the titles in final cut. So final cut has to render it. When it renders it, it also brightens the video of just what was rendered. So what is a solid red color as part of the titles that didn't need rendering, doesn't match the red part of the titles that final cut had to render. One effect that I applied to one of the titles was an iris transition. The other effect to other titles was fade out with the opacity handles.

This also makes me wonder about the color correction. I color corrected the actual film in final cut. Since all of that footage had to be rendered, did it brighten that up compared to the original too? Does anyone get what is going on? Is there a render setting that I don't have set right?
Re: FCP rendering video makes it brighter
December 08, 2006 08:20PM
Are you watching on an external monitor?

What are your render settings?

And have you checked to make sure you haven't put any of your clips into a Composite Mode?

www.derekmok.com
December 08, 2006 09:01PM
In final cut after i render the clip, it looks just fine. It is only when I export it that you see the brightness shift, on both a monitor and the computer screen. It is a very distinct and gerastic color change

the render settings are all checked and everything is at 100%.

I also tried all the different video processing options. And they all came out with the same results.
December 08, 2006 09:04PM
When you say "export", do you mean export a movie file or output to tape?

If it's a movie file, how are you doing the export? Export - Using QuickTime Conversion will result in compression. Export - QuickTime Movie should get you a lossless movie file.

www.derekmok.com
December 08, 2006 09:51PM
yeah, sorry, by export i mean to a file.

I did it as a quicktime movie and thats what happened.

recently i exported it with quicktime conversion. Since quicktime conversion rerenders everything, it raised the brightness of the whole clip. So there wasn't a noticable change in brightness during the clip, however the whole clip was brighter than I want.

I started monkeying with the actual footage to see what happens. I took a clip from the actual camera footage, took off the color correction effects, making it not necessary to render. I then applied the same transition to it to a part of the clip to see if there would be a brighness shift and there wasn't. So fcp seems to be treating my titles differently than the footage.

The footage was shot on F-900, captured with a blackmagic card uncompressed 10Bit 4:2:2 1080p.
the titles were created in aftereffects (16bit mode) and exported in blackmagic uncompressed 10bit 1080p.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics