3 related topics - capture format, dvd distribution, wear and tear

Posted by jameswaldrondesign 
3 related topics - capture format, dvd distribution, wear and tear
December 07, 2006 04:52PM
I've been shooting a documentary on fishermen here on the east coast for a year. I've been recording with my Sony Z1 in HDV, and understand the camera's limitations, like fast motion pans or action, but could only afford the Z1. I also have read here about the brittle editing in FCP that HDV creates. My goals upon completion are for festival applications, and standard DVD retail sales in fishing venues (shops, trade shows, online, etc.)

I bought the Z1 so I could, if needed, supply the doc in HD should I have an opportunity to sell it to a sports channel that broadcasts HD. Of course most broadcasters won't like the HDV source, but perhaps the content would be compelling enough to overlook or workaround.

I'm starting the task of logging and capture, and have been evaluating my options. I really can't justifiably spend more money on equipment at this point, and that fact is determining some of my options. Given that I'm about to log and capture 125 hours of content, I want to do it efficiently for the short term, but allowing for higher resolution creation if needed.

From what I've studied on this site, my options are:
a. Log and capture in HDV, make simple cuts and avoid troublesome HDV edits. Use best available codec to convert to standard def DVD

b. Down-convert to Anamorphic (16x9 widescreen) DV in the camera, and edit a nice, standard DV easily made into standard DVDs for distribution and festival shows, which may blow up well on big-screen televisions and projectors.

c. Use a Kona or Blackmagic card to convert out of HDV to DVCPRO-HD for clean (though disk-space heavy) FCP editing. Then convert down for standard DVD distribution, while having the DVCPRO-HD version ready in case of broadcast needs.

Did I mention money is a problem? OK.

My research suggests that, especially for DVD distribution, that option b is my lowest cost alternative, with the most utility for distribution to the audience that might be interested in the content of my film. I'm looking for opinions here.

How easy would it be to use my standard-def edit timeline later on, and import revised assets with DVCPRO-HD conversion for a HD version, should I have a market for it?

Finally, in an effort to conserve capital funds, should I use my z1 as the log and capture deck? I will most likely continue shooting over the next 6 months with the same camera. I'm worried about wear and tear, but am shy about renting a deck for the log and capture due to cost. Rule Video in Boston rents the HDV decks for $130 a day. A brand new one costs $2100, once again more than my budget. Opinions welcome here too.

This is my first film, and I thank you for any suggestions you have.

Jim Waldron
www.plumislandfish.com
Re: 3 related topics - capture format, dvd distribution, wear and tear
December 07, 2006 09:40PM
Hey, Jim, I'm shooting a feature film with the Sony HVR Z1U and editing in FCP5 Studio 5.04

1. Use your Z1 for capture.
2. Capture in HDV and edit in HDV (You probably don't have a lot of special effects so editing in HDV won't slow you down).
3. Us Capture Now for less wear and tear on your camera (number your tapes and describe your scenes as you capture).
4. Convert to SD using Compressor 2 for DVD release.
5. Play back your edited HDV to the Z1 for full HD release later.
6. Take the HDV to a post house and have them master it to your favorite HD format.

Good luck!
December 11, 2006 08:24AM
You're correct, I will not have many special effects, but expect significant color correction due to quickly changing light sources during my shoots. Is color correction one of the processes that makes HDV a little brittle?
December 11, 2006 09:19AM
> Use Capture Now for less wear and tear on your camera (number your tapes and describe
> your scenes as you capture).

James, this one is bad advice. Capture Now is a dangerous practice especially for long-form work, because it may make your clips impossible to recapture. You're dealing with a documentary so it's even more important -- high volume of footage, more complex content than a narrative, lots of junk footage you may not ever use. Log the tapes -- that's the professional way. If nothing else, "speed log" the tapes by not really watching the footage, but breaking down tapes into 10-to-15-minute chunks for capture. And if you're editing for a long time, the "wear and tear" on the camera will be outpaced by how much time you save in the editing, how well you meet deadlines, how much storage space you save by organizing the footage. Well organized clips also mean a better edited piece later, because you can navigate through them faster and more logically.

www.derekmok.com
December 11, 2006 02:27PM
Thanks for the logging advice. Reading around, most everyone agrees that a concise log helps you in every aspect of the final edit. I think I'm going to try editing in native HDV, at least for now. Found a local news show that does a monthly "HD" show that originates in HDV edited on a laptop, so it should suit my purposes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics