Allocating disc space on external drive

Posted by alicat 
Allocating disc space on external drive
December 18, 2006 06:49PM
I have a new 500GB external drive with 445GB available (G5 powermac FCP HD 4.5) I set the external drive as the scratch disk and saved the project there. However when I capture now, I get "allocating disc space" and it goes on for more than 3 minutes. I then re-set the scratch disks, saved the project on another drive - it allocated disc space for a few seconds and captured everything. Why is it having trouble with the new drive?
Re: Allocating disc space on external drive
December 18, 2006 06:54PM
First thing that comes to mind is did you format the drive correctly? MacOS Extended? If not, stop now, erase the drive and re-format. Almost always erasing drive will solve this problem assuming this is the problem.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 18, 2006 06:56PM
And check System Settings to make sure your "Limit Capture Now" quota isn't set too high. Otherwise Capture Now will allocate way too much storage and it could have problems.

Generally, avoid Capture Now unless you have no choice. Do proper logging and Batch Capture.

www.derekmok.com
December 18, 2006 07:26PM
<<<then re-set the scratch disks, saved the project on another drive>>>

You said some naughty words there. *How* many drives have you got, how are they connected, and how full are they? Include the internal drives.

Koz
December 18, 2006 09:23PM
Ok, I am having the same problem with a G5 FC Express HD, and a recently purchased 250GB external acomdata drive. How do I re-format?
December 18, 2006 10:39PM
Disk Utilities. Select the drive, choose Erase Disk, and select the format you want (Mac OS Extended). This wipes out everything on that drive, so you need to have backups.

www.derekmok.com
December 19, 2006 01:02AM
what protocal and brand of drive is it? you might be set out upon the path of failure without even leaving camp...
December 20, 2006 10:56PM
Thanks guys! Erasing and formatting worked.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics