Deleting transitions.

Posted by Ryan T 
Deleting transitions.
December 20, 2006 03:13PM
I have a video that I have been working on. It is an hour long and is basically a slide show consisting of several hundred pictures with dissolves in between each pic. Now that the video is done the client decided to rerecord that VO that goes with the video so that I need to re-sync all the pictures. Problem is there is a transition on each cut so I cannot easily adjust the lengths of my pictures. Is there a way to easily remove all of my transitions with out actually deleting the clips?

Thanks,
Ryan
Re: Deleting transitions.
December 20, 2006 03:21PM
It would be easier if you used the trim tools rather than deleting your transitions and re-applying them.

Roll (R) will allow you to roll the transition backwards or forwards. Just try clicking on a transition and pull to the left or right.

Ripple (RR) will allow you to extend one clip on one side of a transition without affecting the other. Watch out for audio clips that overlap the transition points, though.

Slide (SS) will roll an entire clip backwards or forwards, including transitions at either end. This is especially useful in your case because you have still images.

www.derekmok.com
December 20, 2006 03:39PM
Derek,

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the tools you mentioned. The problem is that some pictures are now it a completely different order. I would really prefer to be able to work with the clips with out having to worry about the transitions. Reapplying them is that big of a deal to me.

Thanks,
Ryan
December 20, 2006 04:30PM
There isn't a command to delete all the transitions. You could multi-select them in batches by command-clicking on them then hitting the delete key which will reduce the number of keystrokes required.

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
December 20, 2006 05:15PM
If the order of the stills isn't an issue, then you can try this: Drag the video portion of your entire timeline into a temporary bin in the Browser. The transitions and clips will be grouped separately. Select all the clips and drag them back into the timeline. The order will be completely jumbled (alpha-numeric), but the transitions will be gone.

But I'm thinking it probably makes more sense for you to just edit as if the transitions weren't there, and delete them as you go.

www.derekmok.com
December 20, 2006 06:34PM
you can select all transitions by doing a timeline search for "cross dissolve" or even "cross"
that's if it IS a cross dissolve smiling smiley
otherwise do a timeline search for whatever your trans is called.

to localize the search,
define the search area with in / out points/
then, in the search dialogue, chose "Search by in out points"

re-applying is pretty easy.
perhaps the easiest way in this case is to simply jump to each edit (down arrow)
and apply the default trans (Apple T)

otherwise, select a range of clips
park at the head of the range,
drag range to canvas, drop in "overwrite with transition"

cheers,
nick
December 20, 2006 06:41PM
Ahh good one Nick. I never thought of using a timeline search like that. I just tested it here. Select timeline, press apple f search for 'cross' using 'find all'. All the cross dissolves get selected on the timeline. Hit delete.

December 20, 2006 06:48PM
very smart tip Nick!

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
December 21, 2006 12:04AM
Someone always has a newer or better mouse trap. And the cool thing about this Mac is there is so many ways to do things.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
December 21, 2006 07:28AM
Thanks Nick. That is exactly the type of trick I was looking for.

Ryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics