MAC PRO

Posted by Rui Barros 
MAC PRO
December 19, 2006 02:58PM
Hi.

Santa Claus want's to give me a brand new Mac Pro.
Still in the G5 kingdom, i would like have from the forum members the opinions about the Mac Pro.
Thanks

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Re: MAC PRO
December 19, 2006 03:03PM
You don't want it Rui. Tell Santa to give it to me instead.

smiling smiley

As long as you are running Universal apps on this thing, then its a heck of a deal. Fast, and once Leopard is released, wicked fast.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 19, 2006 04:15PM
depends on how anxious you are to get the full use of it. right now the ram for it is super expensive, the adobe (and many other) apps arent optimized for it and a good deal of the hardware manufacturers (raid cards, capture cards, etc) arent yet compatible.

in about a year it will be a rockin box, but right now its kinda crippled by peripheral situations...
December 19, 2006 04:47PM
Rui,

If you are using After Effects, Photoshop & Illustrator a lot, don't do it (yet). Adobe software is not yet written for the MacIntels (running slowly in Rosetta). I am on a Quad until Leopard is released and all my software & plug-ins are caught up. The machine is not worth it if the software is not ready.

My 2 cents.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 19, 2006 05:01PM

in about a year it will be a rockin box, but right now its kinda crippled by peripheral situations...

Going by the road map of intel, in a year these current pocket rockets are going to be looking like mac mini's!

But now, cracking deal, don't chuck it all on the processor like the others said you need some £££ for the RAM!
December 19, 2006 05:58PM
i had actually been on my way out the door to pick up a macpro a few weeks ago, but when i realized that adding sufficient (4gig) ram would bring the cost up to nearly $4000 i decided to hold off until things settle out a bit more...

for now i say get a quad g5 and you'll be happy as a clam. i did a "render race" exporting HD wmv's from compressor between my dual 2.0 g5 and my quad 2.5 g5 and the quad handilly smoked the dual by WAY MORE than 2x.
December 19, 2006 07:17PM
Wait until after Macworld

having said that, my MacPro is amazing, Rosetta or not

Peter

<embed src="[www.volumetrix.tv]; quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="200" height="50" name="signature" align="middle">
December 20, 2006 04:11AM
Hi,
Thank's for your opinions.
I will follow them and wait until the things get a little bit cheaper and stable.
Mike, Santa is on the way to LA with a big box...

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
December 20, 2006 11:43PM
I think Adobe just released a beta version of Photoshop CS3 last Friday. There is an article on how fast it runs on the new Intel Macs.

macworld

I think you just have to see what you'd need it for right now. I just bought one, and am running FCP, Photoshop CS1, After Effects with no problems. I went from a G4 to the Mac Pro so perhaps my perspective is tilted regarding people's complaints of slow Adobe products. I really don't see it. I tested renders on After Effects on my machine and also on some dual G5s at work. It was relatively the same speed; no better, but no worse. To me, since I use AE and Photoshop to "compliment" my FCS, it's worth it to me to get the extra performance from Final Cut, Motion, et al. and get the wash with the Adobe products.

And it's still hella faster than the G4 I used to have. Win/Win for me.

Andy

PS: On a lark I installed Windows XP on it as well. It was creepy to see the windows logo pop up on my cinema display. It made me feel dirty. :-)
December 21, 2006 04:57PM
For me, Santa always comes well after Xmas. Say, the second week of Jan. Santa Steve always has better gifts for the tellster. CES is then too.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics