Audio Corruption

Posted by simple jon 
Audio Corruption
December 21, 2006 12:57PM
Hey There,

Having lots of trouble with my audio files. But the weird thing is it only effects my temp score. It doesn't effect my DIVA files. Let me TRY TO explain:

I am running a Mac Pro Dual 3 4Gb of Ram 250Gig internal HD, A Cirprico 5TB external raid connected through fiber channel, set to raid 3. Osx 10.4.7 FCP 5.1.2 Editing a feature DVCPRO HD1080p

In all of my editing sequences I come accross this problem very often. The problem is with my all of my temp score. It seems that for some reason the song will "jump" or "chop out" a portion of the song during playback. Meaning if my song is playing from the begining, (from the timeline) the song sometimes plays in fragments, as if I changed the in point of when I wanted my song to start playing. On the timeline it clearly shows that I should be playing the song from the begining and the wave form indicates that it is the begining of the song, however the song will play a completley different part. I have checked my audio file in the browser and it plays back fine. But in my sequence it seems "corrupted" and I don't know why. This causes me to have to manually recut the song into the sequence again. Like I said above this dosen't just happen on one sequence it happens on all of my sequences and quite often. Once agian, this only happens to my score. Those files are in all aif files brought in from a several cd's. This is extremely frustrating espec. when this happens during a screening with the director and producer.

I have tried repairing permissions and trashing my prefs. I have tryed to re-import my audio files and I get the same results. I am at a loss as to why this keeps happening. Sorry if this dosen't make any sense, I am having a hard time putting this into words. Thanks for your help in advance.

Simple Jon
Re: Audio Corruption
December 21, 2006 01:02PM
Are all the music tracks 48 KHz sample rate, 16 bit, stereo? Your problem appears to me a lot like what happens when people try to import MP3 or other compressed audio formats. Final Cut will *try* to deal with them, but erratic failures happen all the time. It's nothing like the stability you can get with the proper formats.

Koz
December 21, 2006 01:37PM
I think that might be my problem, thank you sooooooooo much.
December 21, 2006 06:50PM
If Final Cut would just look at those files and fail immediately, it would save everybody a lot of time and trouble.

Koz
December 21, 2006 08:01PM
There's a workflow for sorting this stuff out in the FAQ here Popping and clicking sounds

Also check the next couple of entries below this one.

December 22, 2006 11:32AM
>>Also check the next couple of entries below this one.

Just as a note, this can be misleading advice. If a person has floating threads on, the sequence of threads is totally unpredictable. Best to link to the relevant thread, or quote its subject line.

But a great FAQ reference!

Scott
December 22, 2006 11:37AM
I'm thinking very few have it on. Floating threds is off by default.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 22, 2006 11:55AM
I've always been puzzled by the resistance to floating threads, because I find it very useful. I go to the forum to see what's new since I last looked, and it's always toward the top. Perfect.

This thread is starting to drift, but I still think it's good for posters to keep this in mind when they reference other threads.

Scott
December 22, 2006 06:50PM
I love floating threads too Scott, so you're not alone. SO much easier to know when you've covered all the new posts.

I was actually referring to the next couple of posts in the FAQ that were below the one I linked to. Those don't drift because they are all part of the same thread by type. But I didn't really make that clear, so fair cop. smiling smiley

December 26, 2006 10:56AM
<<<I love floating threads too Scott, so you're not alone. SO much easier to know when you've covered all the new posts. >>>

I wonder about this. Are we talking about "bubble up" threads? That made me crazy because I would miss new threads in the flurry of existing thread activity most of which didn't apply to me. I wonder if Bubble Up is much more valuable if you're a System Admin? If you're a casual user, it would not be valuable. Also, how many Admins use the "Email Me" service for reply threads?

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics