Compression DVD vs. Mini-DV

Posted by Phil G. 
Compression DVD vs. Mini-DV
December 25, 2006 09:20AM
I need to order some stock footage, however, I want to order with the least compression. Is DVD compression greater than Mini-DV tape or about the same?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Re: Compression DVD vs. Mini-DV
December 25, 2006 10:49AM
DVDs are FAR MORE compressed than DV.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 25, 2006 10:51AM
If you're talking about video DVD, the compression a lot more than Mini-DV. Look at it this way: A video DVD holds about 180, 200 minutes of video onto 4GB. A Mini-DV tape captured at full quality is about 13GB for 120minutes.

But you need to talk to the seller about exactly what kind of DVD it is. If it's a data DVD, it could be holding files that are higher quality than footage output/recorded onto Mini-DV. For example, if you're ordering only 30 seconds of stock footage, it could fell fit onto a data DVD as files in Uncompressed 10-bit SD or even HD. In that case, it would be far greater quality than Mini-DV.

www.derekmok.com
December 25, 2006 11:42AM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Mini-DV tape captured at full quality
> is about 13GB for 120minutes.

Should read: 13GB for 60 minutes

Regards
Andreas
December 25, 2006 11:57AM
> Should read: 13GB for 60 minutes

Kaboom! Christmas Morning Idiocy on my part!!!

Thanks for the correction, Andreas. I'm gonna go hide my head in the sand now. Or should that be snow?

www.derekmok.com
December 26, 2006 01:15PM
<<<If it's a data DVD, it could be holding files that are higher quality than footage output/recorded onto Mini-DV>>>

Yes, this kills us constantly. "The work is on this DVD from the client."

Oh. Swell. Now let's figure out what they actually did.

We make very clear distinction between a "playable movie DVD" and a "Data DVD" (usually with QuickTimes on it) when we deliver something. If we get a blank look, we go further with, "This one looks like a BlockBuster Video rental movie and this one looks like a hard drive, portable drive, or thumb drive.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics