How to import a sequence of stills?

Posted by vizwiz 
How to import a sequence of stills?
January 02, 2007 03:44PM
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have a 19-second 24fps sequence from Maya in the form of 450 individual frames (.bmp).
How can I import them so they?re automatically turned into a 24fps clip?

Manual was no help, tried searching forum as well

Thanks

vw
Re: How to import a sequence of stills?
January 02, 2007 04:11PM
24.00 or 23.98? If you will eventually go off to a DVD or television, 23.98 is indicated.

It used to be to create a timeline in the framerate desired and then File, Import, Files, but you had to be careful to change the defaults because that capture defaults to something like 10 seconds per frame. The older Final Cuts weren't all that stable when they did this.

I would be opening QuickTime Pro and capture from File, Open Image Sequence which was built to do this. Then export the resulting movie to a format Final Cut understands.

Koz
January 02, 2007 05:26PM
Lest I forget.

Two more amusing problems. Maya on a PC? You need to know that almost no matter what, Apple will insist on adding a 1.2 gamma brightness boost to the work. Anything that didn't originate in another Mac. It will be brighter than you remember.

What are the pixel sizes of each still? Can we be certain that they look perfect if you open one up in Photoshop or Mac Preview? Then they will probably be wrong for export/import. If you open one up, is the height/width 720x480?

Koz
January 03, 2007 06:33AM
You can open the image sequence in QT Player Pro and save as (referenced) movie.
This wouldn't help with the gamma issue though.

Regards
Andreas
January 03, 2007 11:23AM
OK. Back at my notes. To get rid of the brightness boost inside Final Cut:

Effects, Video Filters, Levels

Input 0
Input Tolerance 98
Gamma 1.23
Output 50
Output Tolerance 100

You can't ever go back exactly because you end up splitting pixel brightness levels--you can't hit brightness value 191.5 for example.

There is a rumor that in the latest Final Cut, it's possible to turn off the boost. I don't know which FCP and whatever it is, I don't have it.

We will shortly be enjoying this very same process in HiDef. We have a Short that showed up from the client as an enormous collection of carefuly numbered stills.

Enjoy

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics