1080i60 - how to eliminate rendering w/ widescreen matte and 180 deg. rotation

Posted by TyRay 
1080i60 - how to eliminate rendering w/ widescreen matte and 180 deg. rotation
January 09, 2007 02:47AM
My latest job has me editing a feature shot with a 35mm lens package on the Panasonic HVX-200 camera. The footage is all shot:

compressor: DVCPro HD 1080i60
pixel aspect: HD
field dominance: Upper (Odd)

The 35mm lens package is what's giving me a headache. The footage is all upside down...the only way I know to fix this is to rotate each and every clip 180 degrees. This worked fine on my last project (shot in 720p) but for this one whenever I rotate the clip 180 it requires a render (the clips are Green along the render bar - preview).

I can still view them without rendering of course, but they are of lower quality and will still need to be rendered in the end (which will take up a lot of drive space..and time).

The footage is also meant to be made into 2.35:1 widescreen with a matte. When I do this, the footage is no longer only preview-render, but requires a true render.

Ideas other than turning my monitor upside down?
Re: 1080i60 - how to eliminate rendering w/ widescreen matte and 180 deg. rotation
January 09, 2007 03:55AM
time for a reality check:
if you're cutting a feature...
you're off-lining.

stop giving yourself a headache...
stop trying to work at full res,
and down-convert your footage to something more workable.
DVCProHD 720p perhaps.
an while you're at it, you might as well flip/flop/rotate it

reality check 2:
yes you will need to render / create new media.
every time you have a preview screening.
if you dont have enough drive space now, you'll need it soon.

so bite the bullet,
and get more drive space and/or down-convert.

of course tuning your monitor upside down might not be a great solution
(like what do you do about your FCP canvas?)
but adding some black cardboard top & bottom isn't do outrageous...

nick
Re: 1080i60 - how to eliminate rendering w/ widescreen matte and 180 deg. rotation
January 09, 2007 06:45PM
Thanks Nick,

That's what I'll do...drive space isn't an issue so that'll work.
January 09, 2007 10:06PM
you know, i'll bet there's a setting in the camera somewhere that would flip the image back.
is the shoot wrapped?
January 10, 2007 12:19AM
It is wrapped, unfortunately. I've heard of some cameras allowing you to flip the EVF (electronic viewfinder), but I don't think that solves the problem since the footage is still upside down when it's recorded to the P2 (on the HVX-200).

Our D.P. knows the camera really well, but I wouldn't be surprised it it could be flipped. Guess it's too late anyway.

Next question I've had trouble finding a good answer to: If you don't do an offline, but edit the original clips with a lower quality sequence (like 720p24 for 1080i60) can you upconvert to the original footage in the end?
January 10, 2007 12:33AM
> If you don't do an offline, but edit the original clips with a lower quality sequence (like
> 720p24 for 1080i60) can you upconvert to the original footage in the end?

You can, but you'd have to resize and render every single frame to watch it. If you were going to do that, then why not just edit in 1080i60? There is no advantage I can see at all to capturing high-quality footage but using a low-quality sequence to edit with. The usual advantage of an offline edit is that you save on storage space, and the method you're outlining would negate that.

www.derekmok.com
January 10, 2007 12:59AM
sorry, TyRay,
but basically you just wouldn't do that.
it;s not the way FCP works.

oh, but the answer is yes,
but even then there';d be some problems if you'd added any further motion fx to the shots.
don't even think about it smiling smiley

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics