Audio Sweetening

Posted by kevineditor 
Audio Sweetening
January 11, 2007 08:01PM
Anyone know how to sweeten audio in Soundtrack?

I know, its vague, but any kind of sweetening will do.
Re: Audio Sweetening
January 11, 2007 09:35PM
Yes.

I know it's vague, but what else is there to say?
January 11, 2007 10:12PM
<<<Yes. >>>

I'm with him. It's definitely possible to sweeten audio in Soundtrack.

Koz
January 12, 2007 07:38PM
I think you want to define what audio "sweetening" is! It is normalizing the audio to fit seamlessly with your video. There are audio filters that do much the same to audio as do the video filters to video.

Audio is almost as important as the quality of the video but rarely does the shooter take that into consideration. Location audio is almost impossible as the film industry has understood for eons of time. Getting close on location is possible with much planning.

The "sweetening" part should be more of a touchup that a "recover in post" type of work. Using Limiters, Compressors and Equalizing and Reverbs are some of those tools. SoundTrack Pro has those tools available.
January 12, 2007 08:03PM
<<<I think you want to define what audio "sweetening" is!>>>

What most people mean by "sweetening" is getting rid of all the problems put in by the crew.

How do I get rid of the Metrobus rumble and the broken cable hum and buzz? Can I bring up a super low audio level or rescue one that's badly overloaded? I tried to record a lecture from the back of the hall. My stereo track sounds like there is a big hole in the middle. My DAT was running at 30.00 and the video is at 29.97. Is that OK?

Stop me if I hit the sweet you're looking for.

Koz
January 13, 2007 09:15AM
That is trying to make crap in not equal to crap out. With that kind of crew you are sure to fail to capture a good picture and sound.

Delivering unusable sound to the audio guy and expecting him to pull a rabbit out of the sound is not a realistic way to operate.
January 13, 2007 11:33AM
> Delivering unusable sound to the audio guy and
> expecting him to pull a rabbit out of the sound is
> not a realistic way to operate.

John, I hope you'll share in the humor of seeing this very wise advice coming from someone named Foley...

Foley is to sweetening as syrup is to sap.
As "rehabbing" is to renovation.
As road rebuilding is to crack filling.
As... you get the idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics