Missing A Channel of Audio?

Posted by anthem 
Missing A Channel of Audio?
January 23, 2007 10:01AM
Hi...I actually just noticed this in two of my past projects while compiling a demo reel...The videos are just sports footage edited with music. However, the songs don't sound right. It sounds like I am missing a channel and I am hearing the songs as if I were playing them on a stereo with the balance maladjusted one way or the other. I am quite familiar with the songs, and on the video I am missing whole guitar solos, etc... I'm not sure why I haven't noticed this before, but it's driving me crazy now. Has anyone else run into this problem?
Re: Missing A Channel of Audio?
January 23, 2007 10:10AM
> I am quite familiar with the songs, and on the video I am missing whole guitar solos, etc...

Well, no ambiguity there -- you're missing sound!
It's a bit of a surprise to me, because most music recordings would not hard-pan something as important as a guitar solo all the way to the left or right. A left or right bias, yes, but rarely would you get none of the solo on one side.

First you need to nail down whether it's your file that's missing sound, or your sound system.
Do you have any mono connections anywhere in your sound chain? Are you hearing the missing parts in FCP, or in a tape output, or in an exported file? Have you checked to make sure you don't have one speaker busted?

Is your computer configured to play sound a certain way? For example, a subwoofer would bias everything towards the bass end and make your music sound very different from the way you're used to hearing it.

In the timeline: Are you sure the parts aren't just obscured by your EQing or other noises?

Check the music file you're editing with. Are you using an MP3? MP3s are not supported in FCP; you have to convert them to AIFFs or WAVs first. Were the music files converted (I assume they came from CDs at some point or another) at a high enough quality? Certain frequencies suffer more than others when CD tracks are turned into MP3s, for example.

Are you performing Audio Mixdown? You need to do so prior to exporting any movie file in FCP.

Try panning all your audio tracks dead center in your timeline. Select all sound clips and press CONTROL-. (period). Now do an Audio Mixdown (OPTION-APPLE-R) and listen. Are the parts still missing?

Export the file as a self-contained, full-quality QuickTime movie. Now play it in QuickTime Player. Are all the parts there? If so, re-import that movie file into FCP and listen. Anything missing?

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics