OT: NAB 2007 advice

Posted by Karl Hirsch 
OT: NAB 2007 advice
January 22, 2007 02:04AM
Hey all --

I have never been to NAB. Apparently this is very shameful, so this year I will try to go. However, I don't have a ton of money to blow on it, or very much time to spend away from my clients. And quite frankly I'm not 100% sure what exactly I'm supposed to be doing there. So I feel like I need some sort of general plan.

I'm sure most of you have been there before. Would anyone care to offer up their experiences? What was/was not worth their time, how long one should spend there, etc?

Thanks!
k
Re: OT: NAB 2007 advice
January 22, 2007 02:31AM
Nah, not shameful. NAB is an experience and you should do it at least one time before you die but honestly the only reason to go is for face to face time with ol friends. Well that and the SuperMeet on Wednesday April 18. smiling smiley

You need a good 2 days. Three is better. I'm there all week just because I have to. Hotels are really expensive this year. Even Circus Circus which is just to the left of a crack house is over $100 a night this year. Find 3 friends and a 1 bedroom condo with a sofa sleeper. That is pretty cheap way to go. Parties to go to are Monday, The Media Motion Ball, Tuesday, ProMax show, and Wednesday, the SuperMeet. Free food at ProMax and SuperMeet.

You will probably get more news of the "new stuff" by staying home and logging on to the internet. Most of us there havent the time to visit all the vendors we want to and for the most part havent a clue what is new or going on. Until we get back to the hotel and read about it.

Basically you go to these things to meet people, connect with friends, find prospective clients and drink a lot.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 22, 2007 02:34AM
STRATOSPHERE. Under $100 a night.

3 days is plenty. I go all week because, well, I work there for 3 of those days, so I need two to look at all the stuff.

Basically a GIGANTIC showroom for everything production. From shooting to satellite feeds from the station to your home. And everything in between. You cannot see it all in one day. Two, maybe.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 22, 2007 02:43AM
If Shane is working the CalDigit booth you must stop by just to see him in his Orange shirt. Wear sunglasses.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 22, 2007 11:58AM
Don't forget to go outside and see the Military display it's pretty mind blowing.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
January 23, 2007 05:52PM
Any info on whether there will be a new FCP Studio coming out? I want to buy the newest one now but don't want to get burned two days later! Thanks, jen
January 23, 2007 06:01PM
You can get a free code to get in here: [www.reduser.net]
if you need one.

Yes, it's a darn fun place to visit, and yes indeed, it does sound like it's worth seeing Shane in Orange. I'll remember those ND filters to go over my eyes.

Best thing about NAB is the people, the atmosphere and the spectacle of it all, and Mike's jokes, of course.

As for new FCP - anyone who knows can't tell, and those that don't know, don't know. As always, it's wait and see. But that's the fun, and you don't open your xmas pressies early, do you?

Graeme
January 23, 2007 06:03PM
I think everyone is pretty sure something will be announced but who knows about shipping. Buy now. Very stable version and will do all you want it to do.

You dont want a brand new version of anything. Let everyone else play with it first and then after the kinks have been worked out, then you buy.

lafcpug store via Amazon has best prices on FCS anywhere.

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 23, 2007 06:04PM
How much are upgrades if a newer version comes out quickly? Thanks, jen
January 23, 2007 06:10PM
Dont know. They have in the past gave folks a break who bought 30 days before new release or something like that. But like I said if you buy now and something ships 2 months from now, it is still wise to hold onto your current version for at least 6 more months after that before upgrading. Seems this "got to have it now cause it's the latest and greatest thing" is more of a testosterone thing then anything else.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 23, 2007 08:08PM
I guess in my case it would be an estrogen thing! Sounds good since I have it the box next to the door, excited to open it but just worried that a totally awesome new one will come out but you are right if the 5.1 is working well it should be fine. Thanks! Jen
January 24, 2007 02:32AM
Whats totally awesome will still be only an upgrade. So best to start learning FCP now, get comfortable with it and then buy the new bells and whistles when you need them.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 24, 2007 09:50AM
I do have 5.0.4 so I guess there is just a few new things in the 5.1 version, or are there a lot of things new? Thanks, jen
January 24, 2007 12:03PM
Because the upgrade deal to 5.1.2 is so good you should take advantage of that. 5.1.2 include bug fixes and support for many 24p cameras and the very cool FXPlug filters and transitions. If you have Final Cut Studio 5.0.4 it costs only $49.00. Only hassle is you must send in one of your disks to Apple and do it before March 29 or so. Go here

[www.apple.com]

Underneath the heading "Pro Applications Universal Crossgrade" look for "Final Cut Studio $49" Click on the link opposite that that says "Download Order Form" Fill it out and do exactly what it says for you to do and all will be well.

Do all of this after you install 5.0.4 on your computer and do not install 5.1 if you are in middle of a project with 5.0.4

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 24, 2007 08:30PM
Thanks everyone for your advice about NAB!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics