Final Cut Studio 5.1 and You PPC Too

Posted by craig seeman 
Re: Final Cut Studio 5.1 and You PPC Too
March 30, 2006 07:55PM
It's not JUST the $50. Heck I could bite the bullet and order that over the phone or online. It's having to take the time and spend the money to ship the master discs back to them FIRST.

If there's a bunch of things they could of done to handle this the wrong way, they picked all of them and did it.

I'd swap the disks at an Apple store. I'd swap the disks and pay $50 and grumble at an Apple store.

Now I have to pack and ship the disks with a tracking number. Pay for that Pay for the new disks. Wait until they arrive.

All this for a BUG fix.

So as an FCS user I am taking all the risk and paying for it and the "biggest" change is to universal which, for most us, we don't need yet. I don't need universal, I need the bug fixes. Maybe those who bought the new MacBookPros should pay us . . . or maybe Apple should take a small loss knowing that from months to a year or two down the line, we'll all be moving to Intel. Heck they could just save the Universal version for the next release.

Yes Avid is overpriced like crazy. I used to go that route. But at least they'd throw in a few poor excuses for new features in the mix.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
If the state of the bug fix remains as is & there is no new version of FCP at NAB, I don't think Paul & Brian will be warmly received at the user group meeting.

Dave
I am on the other side of the fence on this one. I am glad I am going to get something out of this that I can use right now for $49. I don't have an Intel box because there isn't one to replace my Dual G5 as we all know. Yes, there are some bug fixes in it, Good. The product needs it. I think Apple converted the libraries and found that they could or needed to fix several things to make them work right under Universal. Is $49 to much to pay for what turns out to be an upgrade? Even, if it is an bug fix upgrade that allows me to run on new a generation machines? And helps me right now? Come on. Get that $49 out of your wallet. You get a new set of masters with a future, bug fixes right now and a hope that Apple will really give these teams the support that they really need to develop these products the way they should be. Is $49 really going to kill any of us on this one? Will it's not killing me. My disks are in. Hope I get the upgrade soon and bring on the Intel replacement for my Dual G5.

PS: People pay for bug fixes in software all of the time and don't even know it when they upgrade.
The bug fixes
March 30, 2006 08:35PM
Here's the bug fixes. Philip Hodgetts posted this on FCP-L.

I think being able to media manage offline clips is a big one for me. There are others that might be significant to HDV users (and P2/HVX users). Another for a Multiclip audio issue. One for Past Attributes and subclips.

NOT happy that I have to mail in my disks and pay $49 for that.

Removing Duplicate Frames During Import from Panasonic P2 Media
Using a new option in the Import Panasonic P2 window, you can now remove
duplicate frames when transferring footage to
your scratch disk. This option provides
several benefits: the transferred QuickTime
files require less disk space and they can be
edited at their native frame rate.
DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter Plug-in
The DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter plug-in is now
available in the Extras folder of
the Final Cut Studio 5.1 installation disc. This
plug-in processes 720p60 DVCPRO HD
footage shot with a variable frame rate.
Installation instructions and documentation for
the plug-in can be found in the same folder.
Canon HDV XL-H1 Support
Final Cut Pro 5.1 recognizes the Canon HDV XL-H1
camcorder for most Final Cut Pro
operations, including Log and Capture and Print to Video.

Canon HDV XL-H1 Setup
When using the Canon HDV XL-H1 camcorder with Final Cut Pro, keep the following
in mind:

Final Cut Pro captures the first two audio
channels only, even though the camcorder
can record four channels. (With the addition of a
third-party HD-SDI video interface,
it is possible to capture four channels.)

For proper DV Start/Stop Detection operations,
set the clock of the Canon HDV XL-H1
camcorder before recording any footage with it.
(This is a one-time step for new
camcorders.)

The Log and Capture window may be unresponsive when the FREERUN-PS option is
chosen on the Canon HDV XL-H1 camcorder. You can change this setting on the
camcorder by pressing the Menu button and then choosing Signal Setup > Time
Code > Count-Up > Rec-RUN.

Using Print to Video with HDV Footage
In Final Cut Pro 5.0.4 and earlier, no audio was
output from HDV sequences after the "retry"
alert message appeared during Print to Video
operations. This issue has been resolved.

Previewing Video During HDV Capture
Final Cut Pro 5.1 resolves an issue in which the
quality of the preview video shown on your
computer screen would degrade when capturing 720p HDV for 10 minutes or longer.

Fast Forward Timeline Playback Issue Resolved
Final Cut Pro 5.1 resolves an issue in which mouse movement would cause the
Canvas and the video on an external monitor to
freeze during Fast Forward and Fast
Reverse playback.

Switching Angles in Multiclips with Multichannel Audio
When switching or cutting multiclips with three
or more audio clip items, unexpected
results can occur when you switch only a subset
of tracks at once (for example, if you
are switching tracks A1 and A2 in a multiclip
containing four audio clip items).
In Final Cut Pro 5.1, you can ensure proper angle
switching by stopping playback and
selecting the multiclip before you switch or cut the angles.

Using Paste Attributes to Paste Subclip Contents
In Final Cut Pro 5.0 or later, if you copied a
subclip and used the Paste Attributes
command with the Content checkbox selected in the Paste Attributes dialog, the
pasted media always began from the source clip's
Media Start point (the beginning of
its media file) instead of the beginning of the
subclip (designated by its subclip limits).
In Final Cut Pro 5.1, this issue has been
resolved. The Paste Attributes command now
uses the subclip limits when you select the Content checkbox.

Using the Media Manager to Delete Unused Media
Final Cut Pro 5.1 resolves several issues related
to the Delete Unused option in the
Media Manager:
Working with clips with speed changes:
Choosing Create Offline and selecting Delete
Unused no longer results in sequences with gaps between edits.
Processing multiclips:
Choosing Copy or Recompress and selecting Delete Unused
now correctly deletes media from angle 1 of a multiclip.
Processing clips with negative speed:
Choosing Copy or Create Offline and selecting
Delete Unused no longer results in media with shortened audio.
Processing offline clips:
Selecting the Delete Unused option no longer results in a new
project in which offline clips are untrimmed, so
you no longer need to recapture the
original media file duration.

Using Scale and Motion Blur Simultaneously on Still Images
Final Cut Pro 5.1 resolves an issue in which
simultaneous use of the Scale and Motion
Blur motion parameters on still images would
result in visual artifacts in uncompressed
10-bit sequences.

Reconnecting Media Files Automatically
In previous releases, Final Cut Pro detected when
a clip's media file was altered and the
clip went offline. The only exception to this
behavior was when you modified a clip's
media file by using the Open in Editor command.
In this case, Final Cut Pro would
automatically reconnect a clip's media file when
you returned to Final Cut Pro from the
external editor application.
In Final Cut Pro 5.1, you can configure Final Cut
Pro to always reconnect modified
media files, even if you don't use the Open in
Editor command. This means that when
you modify media files in other applications, the
clip does not go offline when you
return to Final Cut Pro.

Shuttle Control Issue with Wacom Tablets Resolved
shuttle controls in the Viewer and the
Canvas did not function with Wacom tablets.

Issue with Play to Next Marker and Play Current Marker Resolved
Play to Next Marker and Play Current
Marker commands (available when you choose Tools > Button List and click the
Transport disclosure triangle) would play one too
many frames, and then back up and
stop on the correct frame.

XML File Import Issue Resolved
Final Cut Pro 5.1 resolves issues in Final Cut
Pro 5.0 and later versions involving
importing XML files, telecine logs (FLEx files),
and Avid Log Exchange (ALE) files.

Autosave and Auto Render Alert Message Issue Resolved
Final Cut Pro 5.1 resolves performance and
reliability issues involving the display of
Autosave, Auto Render Complete, and Drop Frame alert message dialogs.

Third-Party Video Plug-in Support
Final Cut Pro 5.1 does not support Adobe After Effects plug-ins on Intel-based
Macintosh computers.
Note:
Boris Calligraphy has been updated for Final Cut Pro 5.1, and is supported on
both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macintosh computers.

Final Cut Pro 5.1 Project Format
The Final Cut Pro 5.1 project format has been updated, so you cannot open
Final Cut Pro 5.1 projects in previous versions of Final Cut Pro.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
March 30, 2006 08:48PM
I don't mind paying, mostly because I'm one of the lucky ones who will get the whole suite for a great price. But I'm very spooked about having to mail in my FCP discs.

What happens if I have a meltdown here while it's in the post? And what if the new version doesn't work well on my setup and I want to revert to a known good situation? No chance. And that's a scary situation that I don't really want to be in as a business owner.

I would be much happier going to my local Apple reseller to do a physical swap, although it's still a leap of faith that all would work fine by the next morning when the client walks in the door.

It's like telling a pilot he has to hand in his plane mid-flight, but don't worry - the new one will be there before you hit the ground. And it should work great.

Paul from Apple - we're nervous.
Lots of folks have sent their disks & the money weeks ago & have had no confirmation of disks having arrived or what is happening with the credit card number they submitted. The fact that it is a third party company handling the transaction not Apple doesn't do anything to make these folks rest easier.

Dave
March 30, 2006 09:58PM
At least we aren't Logic users who had to pay for 7.1 for 30 bucks and then 7.2 for $49
(at least they don't have to mail in their disks . . . becuase they use a dongle, do you want to use a dongle with FCS?)

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Ben

AFAIK The UK crossgrade deal is no different to the US. It's a requirement that you send in your original install DVDs here in the UK too.

At the end of the day, Apple has to move things forward so at some point the transition to Universal Binaries has to take place. That point is now and as Mark R said, $49 is peanuts compared to what Avid would have charged...

Martin Baker
www.digital-heaven.co.uk

March 31, 2006 07:01AM
All I can say is "consistent policy". Aperture .1 upgrade is free, UB, and via software download if it ever arrives, whereas FCP is also .1, UB and not free, and also totally inconvenient!

Just because Avid is worse, doesn't mean that what Apple is doing is any better. As for the intel/ppc split - they don't seem to have any bother delivering OS X upgrades to split platforms, do they?

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 31, 2006 07:25AM
I agree with Graeme.

People keep bringing up the $49 as if it were the only issue.

It's the time to pack the disks.

The cost to ship them with a trackable number.

The fact that one is without the master disks for that time . . . which may be more than a week.

And Yes, no consistancy in policy. This is singularly most inconvenient to PPC users who need to go through all the above for a BUG FIX.

At least let me order them and swap the disks at a physical Apple store.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Paul from Apple
March 31, 2006 08:09AM
WOW... what a posting! Despite the ranting, it's a pleasure to have such a passionate group... for what it's worth, Brian and I (and the rest of the Apple team) do care about our users quite a bit. It's a passion for us too...

As somebody pointed out above, I can assure you that we DO NOT sit around "in a room asking each other, How and what can we do to irritate the hell out of our customers?" I personally feel the current upgrade/crossgrade program is very generous-- especially for thos that haven't purchased the full studio yet. For those that have, $49 is a nominal cost for us that covers the disc, shipping and handling.

There are things that we have to do out of necessity. Sorry guys. There is good news here, however:

1. Unless you're moving to Intel, there's no need to upgrade UNLESS the very SMALL number of extremely specific bug fixes apply specifically to you. There are NO NEW FEATURES-- just added Intel compatiblity.

2. For A LOT of customers this is literally the DEAL OF THE CENTURY since the upgrade costs to the full studio are so aggressively priced.

3. I believe the EULA allows you to make a copy of your installation disk for backup purposes. You can always back it up before sending it in to us for the media exchange.

4. Some of you expressed concerned about the possiblilty of another release at NAB (thus having 2 paid upgrades close together). While I can't tell you if we're releasing a new version, you can always wait until NAB and see what happens... it's only a few weeks.

5. Lastly, the bug fixes are quite specific and limited in number. There are only a handful of things that are fixed, as per the LBN that somebody pasted into a posting above. If those things don't affect you, then sit tight!

Thanks again.
Paul from Apple
March 31, 2006 08:24AM
Paul,
Thank for posting but I guess "SMALL number of extremely specific bug fixes" is relative. For me, being able to media manage offline projects is major.

I'll avoid too much redundency since you've read the posts, but it would really be a lot less painful if one could place the order at a local Apple store and then swap the disks when they arrive.

The mail delivery where I am (USPS, UPS, FedEx) has been a NIGHTMARE (and I'm being mild) so Apple has stuck me in a BAD place. I'd rather it shipped to an Apple store and swap the disks when they arrive.

I don't need to go into the situation with deliveries in this building but given the above posts and from what I've seen elsewhere, I don't think I'm alone in this situation.

Need for news disks, cost of the disks, exchange the disks . . . I understand. Mail only options is a killer. Even if one pre orders, I can't see why not doing this through a brick and mortor Apple Store. I'd rather wait three weeks for a store to get it than six weeks worth of phone calls figuring out why the package isn't here.

Post Edited (03-31-06 08:38)

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
Lisa B
March 31, 2006 08:45AM
Here's a possible reason to upgrade:

"Final Cut Pro 5.1 Project Format
The Final Cut Pro 5.1 project format has been updated, so you cannot open
Final Cut Pro 5.1 projects in previous versions of Final Cut Pro."

So this means FCP 5.0 users working with FCP 5.1 users won't be able to open project files sent by their 5.1 colleagues...right?

Hell of a bug fix.

I know I know.....I'm sure there are good reasons, but still.
is that a fact? or conjecture? seriously. i'd like to know.
March 31, 2006 10:22AM
Paul, I'm sitting still then.

I can really see the value of the upgrade for many users, but for those who's always kept up-to-date, this is poor value, and sending in discs is a right p.i.t.a.

Thanks for posting though - good to hear from Apple on this, even if it isn't what we totally want to hear.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Anonymous User
March 31, 2006 10:27AM
frankpledge wrote:

> is that a fact? or conjecture? seriously. i'd like to know.

Is what a fact or conjecture?

March 31, 2006 10:40AM
I believe Frank is referring to Project Incompatibility between 5.0.4 and 5.1. It's a fact according to Apple's notes.

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
5.1 compatability with 5.0

sorry
fp
I have't heard of any casualties from this awakward exchange process, but there are bound to be some. No one wants to be the odd man out who experiences all the pain. The main problem is that most of us aren't interested in the universal bineries at this point as we are waiting for the new intel chips comming in August which will likely be installed in the tower model Macs.

We want the bug fix not the cross grade at this moment.
In three weeks time for most of us this will likely be a non issue, as there will likely be a new version in a few weeks that we can spend a few hundred bucks on & buy in our local Apple dealers shop.

If the universal binery version was 5.04 there would't be so many people upset. Most people just want the bug fix.

Dave
Lisa B-

[So this means FCP 5.0 users working with FCP 5.1 users won't be able to open project files sent by their 5.1 colleagues...right?]

Nothing new there, though I sincerely thought they'd stamped out App-nesia.

That's really annoying. I mean, within major version numbers AT LEAST...

As for the 49.00, helleck, I have to spend 199.00; never bought FCP 5. But with Soundtrack Pro here I'll get the whole UB for another two hundred; that's a spectacular deal. So thanks to all you 49.00-dollar upgraders for helping subsidize this with what of course should be free upgrades. ;-)

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set a Level keyframe with Command-Option K !

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
April 02, 2006 02:40PM
I read the list of bug fixes and they definitely would be helpful to me. I had FCP 4.5 then I got the upgrade -- which discs would I have to send in? Both the 4.5 and the 5.01 ? Or just the 5.01 discs?

The other point is: I'm assuming the 5.1 is the last G5 upgrade ? After this upgrade, the G5s with the old chips will be frozen out, right? All the new buyers of Power Macs and FCP will be moving away from the old non-Intel G5s, am I right? I just need to know where I stand. I can live with an older system of editing; I still have my moviola and my other editing equipment in running shape. I can use FCP 5.04 until it becomes obsolete and work around the tools that don't work properly -- for me it's like they're not even there :-)
Anonymous User
April 02, 2006 03:11PM
filmman wrote:

> The other point is: I'm assuming the 5.1 is the last G5 upgrade
> ? After this upgrade, the G5s with the old chips will be frozen
> out, right?

The new Intel PMs have not even been announced yet. Why would you think this would be the last upgrade for G5s?

As for how to get this upgrade simple go to Apple's web site and download the appropriate form, fill it out and send your disks in. Make a back up copy of your disks.

[www.apple.com]

Or don't do anything and sit where you are.

NAB's 3 weeks away. If there's no announcement on Sunday 23, then by the opening of NAB the following day you should have a clear picture in regards to software of how you want to proceed in the coming year.

Apple could surprise us & actually intro some low end tower intel Macs, although most of us are betting that Apple is waiting on the n new Intel processors which are due to start shipping in August Also the ultra high end member of the Final Cut family (if in fact it exists) could be the only thing that is shown at NAB.

FCP5 could continue through a series of point releases with FCP 6 introduced at NAB 2007. We'll just have to wait 3 weeks to see what the new game plan is.

Dave
April 02, 2006 06:28PM
I don't think they'd wait until NAB 2007 for FCP 6 UNLESS . . .

They do something similar to what they did with 4.1 to 4.5. 4.5 as you remember was free. If that went the route it would actually make the whole $49/mail in the discs thing easier to accept.

Dave Hardy wrote:

> NAB's 3 weeks away. If there's no announcement on Sunday 23,
> then by the opening of NAB the following day you should have a
> clear picture in regards to software of how you want to proceed
> in the coming year.
>
> Apple could surprise us & actually intro some low end tower
> intel Macs, although most of us are betting that Apple is
> waiting on the n new Intel processors which are due to start
> shipping in August Also the ultra high end member of the Final
> Cut family (if in fact it exists) could be the only thing that
> is shown at NAB.
>
> FCP5 could continue through a series of point releases with
> FCP 6 introduced at NAB 2007. We'll just have to wait 3 weeks
> to see what the new game plan is.
>
> Dave

Craig Seeman
[thirdplanetvideo.com]
April 02, 2006 10:35PM
<<I don't think they'd wait until NAB 2007 for FCP 6 UNLESS . . .

They do something similar to what they did with 4.1 to 4.5. 4.5 as you remember was free. If that went the route it would actually make the whole $49/mail in the discs thing easier to accept.>>

I just can't imagine we'll see FCP 6 so soon. Unless they've locked the team in a building, feeding them only smart drinks and crystal meth. I'd gladly settle for FCP 5.5, if anything at all.

A demo of the rumored hardware-accelerated FCP online system would be amazing. But I'm afraid it's all just fantasy.

- Justin Barham -
Anonymous User
April 02, 2006 10:42PM
JustinB wrote:

> A demo of the rumored hardware-accelerated FCP online system
> would be amazing. But I'm afraid it's all just fantasy.

Sigh. So too is the possibility of a free pony. But we keep hoping and hold our heads high.

It was 2 yrs. between FCP4 & FCP5, but only 8 months between FCP2 & FCP3.

Dave
April 02, 2006 11:16PM
<<It was 2 yrs. between FCP4 & FCP5, but only 8 months between FCP2 & FCP3.>>

That's a good point. Honestly, I guess I'm hoping we don't see these rapid upgrades. I think there is a general consensus that what FCP really needs is a serious low-level rewrite, addressing the the core media management issues.

<<Sigh. So too is the possibility of a free pony. But we keep hoping and hold our heads high.>>

I'm always optimistic about the pony. Maybe one day I'll strike it rich and buy all the LAFCPUG members their own pony. *fingers crossed*

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics