External SATA Raid

Posted by George Criswell 
External SATA Raid
January 27, 2007 01:33PM
Hello... I am upgrading my FCP system. I have been using a Lacie Two Big 500gb Drive. I now need something bigger and faster for an upcoming project with a lot(20 hours) of beta SP footage. I am thinking about putting an external SATAII storage system together myself and am considering a Sonnet Fusion 500p enclosure and putting in Seagate 750gb drives (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM).
I think the Lacie SataII PCI-X 4E card should still work with this new external box.

It gets a little confusing after looking at so many different external SATAII systems and thinking that I should be able to put one of these together myself and save some money(and have something that will do the job). Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
George
Re: External SATA Raid
January 27, 2007 02:06PM
Looks like you are on the right track. But assuming the card will work isn't the way to go. Call LaCie and ask. Sonnet also makes controller cards, and it might be good to go with them than mixing and matching too much. Limit the amount of vendors you need to call if something goes wrong.

Or, if this is over you head and you want something that works, go with www.caldigit.com solutions. Everything from one company and it works and works great.

I built my own SATA Raid using a PC case, but I did a lot of research first. First stop was www.hdforindies.com...read the FAQ. Also go to www.macgurus.com and read about rolling your own.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: External SATA Raid
January 27, 2007 04:18PM
You might want to contact me about the most secure and cost conscious SATA RAID available today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics