File size Ratio question...

Posted by mrshow555 
File size Ratio question...
January 31, 2007 04:26PM
Why is it that when I export using quicktime conversion and put my settings at DV/DVCPRO NTSC the files take up more hard drive space per minute than captured video does?

How do I export full quality video to my harddrive so that it will have the same quality and filesize to drive space ratio as footage captured right off the tape?
Re: File size Ratio question...
January 31, 2007 04:43PM
#3 output lossless DV

Shane's Stock Answer #3:

To export your DV project so there is no loss in quality, simply go to the File Menu and select EXPORT>QUICKTIME MOVIE. Not Quicktime Conversion, fot this will compress the footage. Make sure the settings match your timeline settings, make it self contained and you are set.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 31, 2007 05:40PM
But I've found that when I export this way and bring it to a different computer I usually get a file error message when trying to open it.

I was under the impression that this method created a reference file, not a true movie file. And if you don't have the original source materials and render files that the movie won't open...?
January 31, 2007 05:44PM
You have to make sure you check SELF CONTAINED...otherwise it will only be a reference movie.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 31, 2007 07:10PM
when yo export as a QuickTime movie, make sure you export using "Current Settings"

DONT go fishing for settings that match yours.
exporting using "Current Settings" will do that for you automatically.
and i think that even if you find your exact match from the pulldown,
you are re-compressing.
maybe not, but you're asking for trouble IMO (room for error) when you can use the default and all will be fine.

also you say "But I've found that when I export this way and bring it to a different computer I usually get a file error message when trying to open it."

if you are talking about a windows machine, then maybe the file needs a .mov added to it

cheers,
nick
February 01, 2007 12:11PM
When you output with Export > QuickTime, you do get the best qulaity QuickTime of the sequence, but it just happens to be "tagged" by Final Cut as a Final Cut file. It is a QT just like any other, but you may want to make a couple changes to the file after its exported so it can open on Macs without FCP or on a PC with QuickTime.

Highlight the outputted QT movie (self contained of course). Press Command/I to bring up the get info window. Change "Open With" to QuickTime, not Final Cut. This will force the file to open with QT instead of FCP (it even changes the icon of the movie to a QT icon).

Also, if going to a PC, add a .mov extension to the end of the file.

Hope this clears it up.

Andrew Balis
Lead Final Cut Pro instructor
www.moviola.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics