What's it worth?

Posted by Eddietor 
What's it worth?
February 02, 2007 07:05AM
I've been asked to edit for a couple of days to help on a late project. The production house I'm working for is making a 60th year anniversary video for a multi million dollar food distrubution company that is showing the video at a big party in Hawaii. The production house does alot of non-profit projects as well as alot of for-profit stuff.

As far as my skill level, I recently edited a weekly show on KTLA for a season, which won a national award for best religious TV show. I've done lots of short promos, TV spots and other random projects. I'd conisder my self an average professional editor, is there is such a thing.
I am an on-staff producer/director/editor at a non-profit organization. I've been out of the freelance loop for so long, I have no idea what the going rate is for editors. I am not a member of any editors guild or anything like that.

The work I'm doing on this project is pretty basic. Straight cuts, dropping b-roll onto the timeline. The main issue is that the footage is unorganized, so I'm spending most of my time wading through bins looking for shots.

What should I charge per hour?
Re: What's it worth?
February 02, 2007 10:24AM
It doesn't matter if you are doing straight cuts, or lots of layers. It is your time that they are paying for.

How much per/hour do you get paid for your other work? You could shoot for that.

Union BASE pay is $500/day. When I started out I started at $400/day doing non-union, and now am a bit more. $400/day for a 10 hour day is the LOWEST I'd go. Don't devalue yourself or the job. That is the average pay for an editor in LA.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 02, 2007 11:26AM
Some guys I know who freelance shoot for twice their hourly pay at their 40 hour/week job. This accounts for things like taxes, insurance, and the time you spend not working.

If it's your first freelance gig, perhaps it's best to underbid a bit, and make sure you get the job.
February 02, 2007 06:45PM
Sorry for the question, Shane.
But what does it mean Union Base pay and Non-Union?

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
February 02, 2007 07:05PM
The Union...Editor's guild, local 700. You know....like the auto makers union, the Teamsters union...well, LA is a Union town. If it is on network tv (except reality TV) then the show is most likely a union show. Being union, they dictate how much people pay their members, and also provide health care coverage.

Non-Union means that you are working on a show that ISN'T union. Many times the pay scale is lower. THis is because not many places can afford to pay union wages. That makes a budget REALLY big.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics