Andromeda Uncompressed for DVX100

Posted by pashdej 
Andromeda Uncompressed for DVX100
February 03, 2007 04:43AM
I've come across a site that has developed a method of accessing the Uncompressed or Full Resolution image inside a DVX-100A (just happens to be one of the cameras we use) and at $2,000 it seems a very neat way to use an extremely nice camera for even better work. Does anyone know anything about it?
Philip
Re: Andromeda Uncompressed for DVX100
February 03, 2007 07:47AM
Can you link the site?
February 03, 2007 09:46AM
the site is here Tim [www.reel-stream.com]
this was announced NAB 2005, started shipping a year later ... don't know anyone who had the mod tho
February 03, 2007 11:34AM
I can't imagine going to all that trouble to soup up a DVX-100. You're still limited by that cheap lens and 4:3 1/3" CCD's. For that kind of money, you can rent a Varicam package or an F-900.
February 03, 2007 01:29PM
This allows you to record a signal to another device, like a deck you take to the set, so that you aren't getting the 5:1 compression that DV takes. Note...this is a STANDARD DEF solution, not a HIGH DEF solution. This technology is 2 years old, and is still very spiffy. But I wager it is better for studio solutions, otherwise you are taking a digibeta deck to the set and are tethered. And if you have to rent a digibeta deck than you might as well rent a digibeta camera and get the better CCDs and lens.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 03, 2007 11:28PM
Tim, that's a major put-down of what we thought was a very nice camera - and still think so. I am not the DOP but instead the Director, who was once trained as a cameraman. Our DOP owns and uses a Thompson DVC-Pro and the output of the DVX100 integrates really well, he says so too, I use it to shoot our dance-music pieces and as a second unit camera on the bigger productions where we have the money for our DOP to bring his Thompson.
At the time the DVX100 was released it received much good and critical acclaim - in particular, the Leica lens and the higher res CCDs. It is not a fifty thousand dollar camera but a good ten thousand dollar camera that I thought might be more useful with the Andromeda mod - the point about lugging a DigiBeta deck around is the argument that kills the idea for me, not the camera.
February 04, 2007 12:55AM
you can record direct to hard drive via an uncompressed card, too, cant you?
maybe a macbok with an AJA io box and FW800 drive
that's still pretty much a studio type set-up, though.

nick
February 05, 2007 11:16AM
It does look like a lot of extra equipment though, the Andromeda mod needs the other software Sculptor HD, residing on a laptop linked to the camera and an external Firewire drive to complete the capture. The view that it's "studio" shoot only is certainly right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics