Problems with jerky video output

Posted by L.A.BullS. 
Problems with jerky video output
February 02, 2007 07:34PM
Hey guys I am having some problems with my video output.

I have been working on this file for quite awhile, and having no problems up until this point. Now, when I render a quicktime I get a jerky frame right at the top of the video. I have tried rendering out different versions, and in different formats but I get the same thing everytime. I have tried throwing out my preferences (utilizing FCP Rescue5) as well as zeroing out one of my hard drives and running all tech tool utilities to optimize the drives in case it was a out of memory error.

I have also checked to make sure that all the footage and project files have the same settings etc. Just all of a sudden two of my file started doing this. I have also tried copying the file along with all footage to a different hard drive utilizing media manager and re-rendering and outputting.....nothing different.

I have also used the same footage in another project and it works just fine. Could this be a problem with file corruption? and if so is there a way to rescue it without having to re-edit the whole project?

Does anybody have a clue????? I'm dyin' over here
Re: Problems with jerky video output
February 02, 2007 07:41PM
The top couple of pixels in your frame are not seen on broadcast TVs. Neither are the edges. You can check in FCP which parts of the frame are likely to be offscreen with the 'Ttitle Safe' guide in the canvas.

So the problem is more likely that the camera is making the rubbish pixels. If you deliver to TV this won't be a problem, If you deliver to the web it could be a problem because it displays right to the edges of the frame. You can either crop them off in FCP or add a mask in Quicktime to cover them up.

What is your delivery format?

February 02, 2007 07:57PM
My delivery format is to DVD.

It is not a problem with pixels at the top of the frame it is that the entire frame jumps around really quick then plays just fine, but that corrupted (?) data is not allowing it to be utilized in DVDSP.

I have tried other clips. Created new project files. but still the same thing.

I am using FCP 4.5 by the way.
February 02, 2007 08:00PM
Oh, I see. If you play the original captured file in quicktime, is the problem still there? So - find the file on your hard drive and drag and drop it on the quicktime icon in your dock. (Or open quickitme, and use it to open the problem file at the finder level)

February 02, 2007 08:05PM
Also, if it's only one shot giving you problems, the quickest and simplest solution is to just recapture that shot and put the fresh copy in in place of the dodgy one.

February 02, 2007 08:24PM
I've had that problem before, and in my particular case nothing worked -- recapture from tape, re-export the shot before making the DVD. I had to cut out the problematic part and sacrifice that one shot before the DVD build would go through. Killer.

www.derekmok.com
February 02, 2007 09:43PM
Recapture from tape didn't work? Wow. That's a hard one. I can imagine the face I would make if that happened to me. Did you name the clip differently? Hope it's not that hard for you, LA.

BTW I'm going to expose my extreme lack of knowledge (and interest, really) in sport and ask if the LA Bulls is a basketball team. I just watched a DVD on the Bulls as a guide to a new job I'm quoting on and it was actually really engaging. Great team.

February 03, 2007 01:51AM
Ok, so I tried re-capturing and it is still doing the same thing. I reviewed the media in quicktime and the clip is fine by itself but when it goes through final cut something happens and I get the same problem, I also noticed that the pixels are shifting in the image while it plays. Its really weird.

I even tried using old media from an entirely different project..... making a new project file and still get the same output problem.

Any other suggestions????

p.s. to answer your question...no there is no such thing as the LA Bulls, you are thinking of the Chicago Bulls. my username is referencing all of the L.A. bulls@#$ that goes on in hollywood. Gotta love it!

Thanks for all of your help so far guys!
February 03, 2007 06:47AM
So, is it only that place on the timeline, or is this happening to all your clips?

If it's only that place .. can you shift everything down the timeline , say, three minutes, and drop it all there doesthe problem persists?

February 05, 2007 12:30PM
Well Guys I figured it out in the end after all of your suggestions....thank you. It ended up being a problem during rendering while exporting DVDSP markers. So, of course, the easiest answer was to simply render without any markers.

Or...............

Use a different machine with FCP 5.1 on it. Which is what I ended up doing and assisted me in figuring out the problem. You're probably saying...why didn't you just use the 5.1 in the first place.....that one is complicated!

Thanks again
February 05, 2007 06:05PM
Geez. Nice troubleshooting. Can anyone confirm this behaviour? If so, we should post it as a bug.

Could you post a short section of what it looks like when it's messed up, L.A?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics