OT: TV show template???

Posted by Eddietor 
OT: TV show template???
February 05, 2007 02:50PM
Is there an industry standard for the times a commercial is placed within a show on network TV? Is there a website that might have this information, or some type of guideline? I imagine it differes with each station.

I'm beginning work on a pilot, and basically the company I'm working with plans on making the pilot first, then, depending on current rates of different networks, trying to sell it. Is this how it's usually done? Should I even be concerned with "spot slots" at this point? It's a 30 minute show. What does 30 minutes translate into for prime time network TV?
Re: OT: TV show template???
February 05, 2007 02:59PM
There is no standard for commercial breaks. Just watch TV and see. When one show is on commercial, you can switch to another and it will still be on, or it might switch to commercial SOON. There might be target "ranges" that you try to hit, but story is still key so you need to make sure you have time to wrap up a scene FOR a commercial break.

30 Min shows are roughly 22:24 to 22:45 in actual length...depending on network. And you might have a show tease, then open credits then commercial, then show, then commercial, then show and end credits. Or the show starts, goes for about 10 min, then break, then 10 more, then break, then back for end credits. Typically two commercial breaks after the show starts. But format all depends on the network.

Watch a lot of sitcoms and see how they are formatted. Vary the networks.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 05, 2007 03:26PM
Shane's right about there NOT being any overall standard. Every network has their own particular way of doing things. In general, most 1/2 shows have three "acts", therefore they contain three breaks.

I gotta tell you that "making the pilot first" then trying to sell it is a VERY LONG SHOT. If you get lucky and deliver something that everyone wants, then you're fortunate. Most networks however, prefer to have the "hands" in the development and shaping of a pilot. The "make it first" model is rare, risky, and usually doesn't work. Heck, even if a network commisions a pilot there's no guarantee that they're gonna go to "series". Depending on who you ask, the odds are probably 100 -1 of "produced pilots" to series committments.

I'd suggest you get paid on a weekly basis and don't wait around to cash your paycheck!

Mark
February 05, 2007 03:44PM
I know of only ONE instance where a pilot was sold to a network that didn't commission it.

IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA.

It is rare.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 05, 2007 06:30PM
I've delivered half hour shows to three different networks and they all require different things, like the guys say.

One wanted 22 to 22.30 minutes, with four breaks, with no segment longer than 8 minutes.

Another wanted four breaks, didn't care how long each seg was as long as it came in at a multiple of five second increments, and sometimes required the show to be dead on 22.00, depending on what followed or preceeded the show.

Another allowed anything from 20 to 24 minutes, three breaks, no seg limits.

So there's no need to worry about it unless/until you get picked up by a network. They'll tell you what they expect then.

February 05, 2007 09:02PM
Hey Shane...make that two shows you know about...

travis ballstadt
www.thrillcateditorial.com

G5DP2.5ghz, 4.5gbRAM, 2TB external SATA, Panasonic AJ-D455, G4PB1ghz, 15", 1gbRAM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics